Thursday, November 04, 2021

Offense Not Welcome Here


"And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another."   ---Matthew 24:10


******

So these past two weeks I felt a bit, well, bored. 

One excuse? Go living over 60 years and you discover that you've shopped, read, gardened, written, cooked, watched tv, decorated (etc.) for decades and isn't it time for something new, especially when you've not had a (real) vacation in six years?

Eventually I roused myself from this sluggishness and recalled something I've encouraged you to do: pray the "restore unto me the joy of _____" prayer. You know, the one taken from this verse--


"Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and renew a right spirit within me."   --- Psalm 51:12


-- except that you fill in 'thy salvation' with the specific area in which you've lost your joy. This time I added, "daily homemaking."

That 'restore unto me' prayer, for me, always works. It just does, ok? And this time, I felt nudged to reread this lovely book about creating a home and a life of one's own--





Wow. Instant improvement! Suddenly I wanted to feed the birds. Declutter. Wash and fold dishtowels. Even iron(gasp!)

And yet? Still there was this strange weight around my heart, not huge, just bothersome enough to block the full river of joy. Hmm. What could it be?

Then this morning at Facebook I spied this:



Uh-oh. Last month I'd become offended about something(s) someone told me. Now, I'd already asked God to help me forgive the person. Said (a few times) I didn't want to feel offended. Was tired of it.

And yet I'm not certain I asked forgiveness for becoming offended. For allowing a seed to be planted, especially over such a trivial thing. I mean, good gracious, that weight persisted. I could not 100% shake it off.

And my deception? Perhaps believing, "It was no big deal. Not my fault. Nothing's really wrong. This will go away in time."

Except that it didn't. 

Not until I asked God to forgive me, my part, my latching onto offense in the first place. And after I did ask for forgiveness? Fully flowing river of joy. Now all is well again. Whew.






"Catch for us the foxes. It's the little foxes that spoil the vine."   --- Song of Solomon 2:15

Excuses are not repentance. We cannot expect to have daily peace if we do not daily forgive.


******





******



May we stay awake and on fire with godly passion no matter what!










In Today's wild world? Oh my, the opportunities to become offended are endless! So may we guard our hearts from offense like never before.


******









Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be. 

 *** 

 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

4 comments:

Sandi said...

Wise words.

Betsy said...

I sure hope it wasn't me who offended you Debra. If I did it was completely unintended and I ask your forgiveness for it.
I do know a bit how you feel though. Just a little out of sorts. Not sure what it is. Unsettled. A feeling that everything as we know it is about to go "bing" or something. I can't even put it into words. I pray. I try to turn my anxious feelings over to the Lord. Then I find myself thinking about the state of EVERYTHING again. May God have mercy on His people.
Blessings and lots of hugs my friend. We can all use them these days.
Betsy

Debra said...

Sandi---thank-you much, and for reading here faithfully as well!

Betsy---aww, no it wasn't you, my friend. ...smile... It was just simply becoming offended at words spoken to me in-person. I should have let them go immediately, they weren't even personally insulting, but I allowed the seed to grow. Tsk, tsk. As for our country's future I have great hope and anticipation at what God is going to do--and may you consistently feel that also! Exciting days are ahead! <3

Thanks so much, Ladies... Blessings, Debra

Pam said...

Another truth-filled post. I needed it! We have gone through a rough year. There have been offenses. Forgiveness is not an option for us, as believers, it is a necessity. Although we know this truth, we needed reminding. Thank you for being willing to do that, Debra.