Friday, December 20, 2019

It Matters




"Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom."   ... Song of Solomon 2:15


******


Remember when I told you God was waking me up around 2:30 a.m. to drink hot chocolate, watch Youtube and spend time with Him?

Well, He's still doing that.

And not only do I love it, but oh, how different I feel! More joyful, freer and mega-anticipatory about what God's gonna do these next years on Earth.

Yet that's a long story, so instead, I'll just add this: when I obey God in small areas, He makes huge changes within me. It's wild how that works.

But of course--


I could've slept-in all these weeks
Or kept desiring a different, not-even-more-expensive house.
I could've not given money away when God said to
Nor shared truths at Facebook when He nudged me.
I could've not visited with neighbor Sally with a Christmas card 
Nor switched over to filling my home with Christian music,
Or listened to new-to-me teachers my friends believe seem 'out there,' (but they're only assuming because they refuse to listen for themselves).

I could've just said, "No thanks, God. I don't like getting up early. Or change. Or risking rejection from old friends."  

But oh, Honey--obedience matters. There is no breaking through our brick walls without the sledgehammer of obedience. 

Want to finally know Jesus as a 24/7, always-here friend? Obey Him in the little areas. Bricks will tumble one by one and oh, the bright light, joy and love waiting behind those walls!







"Be obedient to God and do not allow your lives to be shaped by those desires you had when you were still ignorant."   1 Peter 1:14


Oh, what we miss--and the dangerous journeys we begin--by our simply thinking, "I know God wants me do this one thing, but I can't because -----."

"We're built for change. We're built by God for variety. For freshness, for newness. We crave it, we want it--but we're petrified of it. We need to get over the fear of change. Just because we haven't done something before doesn't mean it won't be a good thing... Don't lose your God-ordained destiny." --- Joyce Meyer





******






Oh! And I'm not even certain why**, but I loved watching this woman decorate her home for Christmas.

**Actually? I think I enjoyed watching this woman decorate because of her peace in doing so. It came to me that God must love watching each of us while we do what He created us to--and how He rewards us with His peace and joy.















****** 


"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

3 comments:

Betsy said...

I'm so glad that you're feeling His joy this Christmas Debra. I agree on all fronts with a cautionary note. Always, always, always, listen to teachers/preachers with an ear as to how the things that they're saying measures up to what the Bible says. There are some teachers out there who teach a gospel contrary to what scripture clearly says. That being said, there is always room for someone who IS teaching His word as truth.
Those decorated rooms are absolutely gorgeous. Very elegant.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend as we are led up to the day that we remember His birth.
Blessings,
Betsy

Debra said...

Awww, Betsy.... Please know I've been a Christian for 50 years, ok? I will always line things up with the Bible. But here's the thing--I've never been the type of Christian who believes miracles went away! Or that God stopped talking to us! Or that Bible verses mean only one thing and there's no deeper revelation of them. All those things I've believed as a child even when those around me did not. I've never wanted just a oh hum, in a box Christian life--and I've never had one, especially on the inside of me. I've always been able to hear the Holy Spirit tell me what's right and what's wrong and I don't run away from those deeper revelations of scripture. But what I see these days? People going by what their pastor says about a thing, or what a friend says, then spreading negative things about teachers they haven't even heard for themselves! And frankly? That's what makes me craziest. :) Glad you liked the decorated rooms! I thought they were wonderful and I loved watching this latest woman work in such peace, as though doing what God called her to do. It reminded me that He must love watching us doing those things He gifted us to do! Blessings, Debra

Pam said...

I just love this post. I love that you have deeply desired to be obedient, Debra. I love that you have had the courage to share what God has been doing in your life. When I read the Joyce Meyer quote, I thought, "YES!" I needed to hear that. I want to remember the part that says, "We're built for change," because my first response to change is not always what it should be. I'm a creature of habit, but I believe with God's help I can be more of a creature of Christ. That's my prayer!