Monday, May 13, 2013

An Alternate Reality Anyone?


Did you ever watch Fringe?

If so, you'll recall that a huge part of that show revolves around an alternate universe. You know, a world like ours with people who look exactly like us as individuals, yet everything is slightly skewed because of--mainly--the different choices and decisions made by our other selves.

I think I used to live there. heh.

It's just that my world before my mid-30's felt wildly different than this present one. I felt unlike everyone else and that made me uncomfortable and pretty moody. I'd wonder if God had fluttered me down to the wrong planet because people kept saying they didn't understand me and I didn't get them, as in, why they found certain books exciting and I'd be bored (or embarrassed) by page 5. Why they longed for loud groups and I wanted some blessed peace and quiet. Why the preachers who inspired them, made me leery. Etc.

Yep, must have landed here by mistake, I'd reason. Just better try to fit in so no one will suspect this mistake. :)

But I didn't want to fit in--I wanted to be me, the real one, even within this wrong alternate universe (so to speak). 

Finally around age 35, God showed me that most of us share these feelings to an extent until this becomes our own reality:

"Almighty God,
you have made us for yourself
and our hearts are restless
until they find their rest in You;
so lead us by your Spirit
that in this life we may live to your glory
and in the life to come enjoy you forever..."   ... St. Augustine


What connects us all is Him-- life in Him, loving Him, being anchored in Him. That's when we become who He created us to be--and accept our own uniqueness--with so much peace that we can now accept others' differences, as well. And become one in Him due, in part,  to knowing their same extremely creative Creator the One who's not much into making duplicates, but one of a kind.

Although this present world isn't our permanent one--even though Life down here feels a bit skewed--if our once-restless heart truly holds God, our anchor, we'll know real rest. Contentment. Acceptance of our zany co-habitors, foregoing the temptation to make them over into versions of ourselves and choosing, instead, to pray they, too, will find that heart rest.

And we'll know peace, assurance that we're right where we're supposed to be, in the correct universe and everything. 





*******

Philippians 4:6-7 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


Philippians 2:2  ... then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.


Ecclesiastes 2:24-25 There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God, for apart from him who can eat or who can have enjoyment?


*******

God created this amazing world for us, His kids, and 'gave us all things richly to enjoy'. So there must be a way--with Him--for us to gratefully enjoy Life, making all our many complaints about this world, well, most likely displeasing to Him.

******

Here's a song to accompany this post. I've shared it before but oh, it always sounds new to me each time I play it. Love, love, love...




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Debra! Your post really touched my heart, this morning. I really relate to your statements and have often wondered why I have always felt different. You are so right, when you state, "our hearts are restless, until we find our rest, in Him". His peace is life changing and I thank you, for this wonderful, early morning, message. God bless you. Sandra

Debra said...

Sandra--thank-you! Sometimes I wonder if these posts are doing anybody any good (tsk, tsk, I know...), but comments like yours help me keep writing. I do thank you much for letting me know this blessed you! Hugs, Debra