Wednesday, July 18, 2012

To Answer a Question



"Neglect not the gift which is within you."  1 Timothy 4:14


*******

Sarah asked a couple important questions after my last posts:

"I can't say I am even sure of my special calling or talents. I know one. Would there be more? How do I know or learn about them?"

To which good ol' Debra would say, "Oh yes! Most people have more than one."

Still not sure of your gifts/talents/callings? 

I would say, ask yourself what you enjoy doing. I mean, God knows how we are--how, if we hate doing something, we'll try super-hard to avoid doing it. シ

Next--what are you naturally good at doing? Is there something which tends to be difficult for your friends, but for you, it's not hard at all? 

And I guess I just want to keep it that simple today.

 What do you enjoy doing? 
What do you lose track of time, doing? 
What are you good at? Chances are, God placed that joy and that talent within you, but not just for your benefit! No, but so that--while you're helping others--you will find yourself in the right place at the right time--and you'll behold miracles of change.


I think the biggest mistake people make when trying to discover their gifts/talents/callings is to go all oooooooo-spooky-spiritual about it. Don't do that! Actually, if we belong to God, it's all spiritual. Whenever we obey Him in seemingly small areas, that's as spiritual as it gets.

Here are just a few of the types of gifts I'm talking about today:


Are you a good seamstress? Or a knitter? Do you crochet?
Do you love to create gardens? Are you a good landscaper? A creative decorator?
Do you enjoy baking? Cooking meals for others?
Are you good at writing stories or emails or letters or blog posts? Encouraging people at Facebook or other places online or in Real Life?
Have you always wanted to be an actor? Are you interested in community theater?
Do you love all things having to do with make-up? Are you good at making-up your face?
Do you love keeping-up with clothing styles? Have you designed clothes before?
Do you shop yard sales? Enjoy getting awesome deals?
Are you great at financial planning? Stocks? Bonds? Budgets?
What types of things do you enjoy collecting? Do you love music? Do you sing well or play an instrument or collect certain types of music cd's?
Do you love to read? Attend book clubs? Do you like to throw parties? Do you enjoy making people laugh?
Are you good at organization? Does the thought of helping people clean-out their attics or declutter their homes, excite you? Do you enjoy keeping a tidy home?
Have people told you you're a good listener? Do you excel at sports?
Do you collect stationery? Do you enjoy sending snail mail cards and letters? Are you good at writing letters to people in your local government or others when you wish to see changes made?
Do you like giving directions? Instructions?
Do you love caring for children? Are you creative? Do you enjoy crafting with kids or adults or both? Are you an artist?
Are you a nature lover? Enjoy hiking and camping? Eating healthy? Organic?
 Do you enjoy teaching others what God has taught you?


Stop me before I go on all day. 

Oh, to know exactly what God has gifted you to do for others. There's nothing like obeying Him in ways we so enjoy!


*********

"There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them.  There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work."  1 Corinthians 12:4-6

"Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."  ... Philippians 2:4


*********

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only had a minute to go here and look before having to start supper...but I already knew one calling and now I know 2 from just briefly reading your post. Actually both kind of go together very nicely. I will reread and digest the post better hopefully tonight. Plus go to God about it all. Thank You so much for answering. Got ta go.... !! :) Sarah

Bonnie said...

Very good post today, Debra! Easy explanation of how to discover your gifts. We all have them but I think we sometimes think....."Oh, that doesn't count. Everybody has/does that." So not true. It's funny how we see ourselves so differently than others see us. Next time someone gives you a compliment on something worthy like a character trait, really hear what they're saying and believe it. Thanks, Debra.

K.E. said...

My gift must be sitting around watching British TV shows. LOL!
:)

Anonymous said...

Just looking at your post and reading some of the list of thoughts I didn't realize how many times God has used things I love to do to reach out to others for Him. They just happened cause it was just me...how I see the world and share with people. I am viewing life differently now that I have thought this through more! :) I will read and reread this post and think on this subject many times. Some things I never thought of as my calling but just me. Well Duh! God made us all different so we work together like a puzzle to make a beautiful world. Each of us being one piece. I can see some things I was gifted with when younger but not so much now too. I can also see things in my nature that have been with me probably since day one. Yes because things are easy when they are your calling you share and use them with grace and ease. You get excited sharing them you want to! I only feel a bit hesitant at times because I am the only Christian in my close family and it is awkward at times saying what I want when they are near too without feeling awkward...to add the extra Christian thought at the time I want to to someone. They do not understand or think this right. I am hardly ever alone when out and about and encounter opportunities to put a word in for God in a gentle way when I am talking to a stranger etc. I may be saying this a bit backwards but cannot put it into words quite right at this time. Does this make sense? My family members that live further away have done so much for God. None toot their own horns but I can see it. I have always felt I did hardly anything. Now I see where I have enpacted some lives where I thought I had not. Maybe planted a seed at least. Not to the extent others in my distant family have by any means, but the guilt has lifted some.I know we are not to compare ourselves but I know so many others that really have done so much for the Lord in their lives...it really amazes me. They have so little but do so much etc. Yes I was one who felt bad like you said yesterday, when I see the missionary films etc...feeling like I have not done anything. That post too helped me too. I really want to move forward and be where and what God wants of me....so am being honest here so I can learn all I can. Sarah