Monday, July 16, 2012

The One Thing


"One thing have I desired of the Lord, one thing will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to seek Him in his temple."  ... Psalm 27:4

****




If you've spent much time around here, you know that after Tom and I moved to Hobbit Cottage, I was thrilled to discover a retro radio station which plays songs from the 40's, 50's and 60's. And I'm still thrilled with it--come to my house and, most likely, you'll hear it playing in our kitchen.


But.


I've noticed that some of those old songs have some pretty wild, extreme lyrics. Ones which come across like this:




"I worship and adore the one I love."


"There's only one person for me in this world. I've lost him. I'll never love again."


"My friend stole my boyfriend away and now my heart is forever broken." (Note from me: Good grief. Just how devoted and trustworthy was this guy, anyway, if he left you for your friend?)


"My true love died and now I want to die, too."




Come on, people.


God never, ever meant for our love of another human being--spouse, child or otherwise-- to be that all-consuming, that I'm-just-a-pathetic-shell-without-you-ish.


No, God created us to love Him, most. To love Him first and to keep Him in that top spot. And in today's crazy-mixed-up world? Well, I'm going to be bold today and say I'm thinking--in this 2012 mess-- our mental health just might depend upon loving God the most, with our whole hearts.... and everybody else coming second or third or --. 


God has known all along that only He could be with us 24/7, only He could give us what we truly need and only He would never die on us and leave us alone.


Times are getting rough, folks, but then, you've probably already noticed that. And what I'm believing lately is that--as long as we keep God in His top spot--we'll be ok. It just might help us (as they say) 'keep our heads while everyone else is losing theirs.'


Just something to consider on this very hot and humid Monday...




***********


This type of message is what changed my life forever back in 1994. The hearing and the doing of it.... and nothing has been the same, since.




*********** 


"There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her."  Luke 10:42


 “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’" ...  Luke 10:27



************************


Fawn, my dear friend from high school, wrote this wonderful post about finding Mr. Right. With each re-read, I'm amazed by its wisdom.


"You are significant, even alone."  ... Jan Kiemel Ream




*************************

3 comments:

Beth said...

I couldn't agree with you more, Debra. As this world becomes crazier and more difficult, we need to look to God first and foremost. Excellent reminder of how we should be steadfast in our devotion to the Lord.

Anonymous said...

I agree too. Not time to comment more...this has been a crazy day mostly spent at the doctors and hospital...but all ok now...see ya later. Sarah

Robin in New Jersey said...

AMEN! "man" will always fail us, God never will.