Thursday, March 18, 2010

So Where's This Suffering Coming From?
















The Bible says there's such a thing as persecution for the godly. I believe that. I've been there and done that. But then there's also 'persecution' because I was just plain stupid.

Fifteen years ago there's no way God would have let me have a blog. Well, ok, so there weren't blogs back then and I wasn't online yet, either. That's beside the point.

No, back then He couldn't have trusted me with the huge responsibility which is Blogging. Constantly I would have stated my beliefs in such an obnoxious way that long disgruntled lines of people would have crowded into my comment box, daily, just itching to to criticize me and what I had said.

And then I would have gone around in my real life whining and sighing, "I'm being persecuted in my blog. Poor, mistreated, misjudged me." I'd have fought back, created Swiss Alps out of molehills and poor ol' God would have been embarrassed to pieces to even know me.

No, really.

Back then I'd have stated my beliefs too harshly and been critical of anyone who didn't agree with me. I would have been too legalistic, too insulting and too condescending, and I would have ignored timing which is always huge with God. My posts could all have been summed up with, "It's Debra's way or the highway (to hell)." Yikes!

How we say a thing is equally as important as what we say. We need more than just the right message--we need the right tone which comes only from a right heart. Not to mention a whole bucket of humility, wisdom and compassion, too.

What a frightening thing it is to be held responsible for the part we play if we make anyone run from God in disgust/fear/anger because of our own foolishness. What a heavy responsibility to represent our Father--an impossible one when we're led by our heads and our emotions instead of by His heart. What a wise, longsuffering, compassionate heart is His.

How important, then, it becomes for me to die daily so that any persecution which comes my way will be because I was like Jesus--not because I was, like, stupid.




******




"In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted..." ... II Timothy 3:12

"...be therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." ... Matthew 10:16

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. ... Love is patient and kind." ... From 1 Corinthians 1

1 comment:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

A Proverbs 4 post, Debra. Thank you.