Saturday, December 13, 2008




One more time for this post--


***

I used to wait to be happy. I was waiting until--


The nightly news stopped showing tragedies.

The world felt like a better, kinder place.
My daughter was home safe upstairs and not out driving.
My husband was in a great mood.
My house was clean from attic to basement.
Everybody at church liked me.
We had lots of thin green dollars in the bank.
I felt 100% healthy.
The sun was shining and warm.
And I (and the people in my life) did everything right.

Then one day it hit me--I was postponing happiness!
Waiting for all my ducks to be in a row, when those ducks would forever be spread out upon the pond,never, ever in a straight line.

So I began giving myself permission to be happy in the middle of an imperfect afternoon(!) Happiness was for right now because right now God is good--even when I'm not.

He provides joy, even now, in the midst of turbulent times. And He gives me permission, too, to be happy.

And that has made all the difference.



******

"...to give to them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified..." ...Isaiah 61:3
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me you might have peace. In the world you will have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." ... John 16:33

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debra,

Thank you so much for the heartfelt words you posted on my blog. I'm very sorry my previous posts made you sad, but so glad you came back again. Yes, my husband was a gem in every way and a true gift from God to me and to many other people.

Thank you for taking the time to look back through my posts and to share in some of my most precious memories. You are a very special person.

Your post today is so uplifting and just what I needed. Bless you!

Tracy said...

A timely reminder, Debra! Hope you're having a wonderful weekend. :)

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Great post and so TRUE.

Anonymous said...

What perfect timing for this post, and especially for the bible verse you quoted. It really lifted me up when I read it. Thank you, Debra, for your great blog! :-)
Tina (I am sorry to comment anonymously, but Blogger never recognizes my user name when I sign in to comment.)

Sharon said...

Well said, I hope lots of people read your post and take your words to heart.

Anonymous said...

What a great point you make about waiting "until" to be happy. I think I realized this some time ago, but boy, it took me way too much of my life to do so!

Laurie S.

Anonymous said...

Bravo! ;)