Wednesday, November 14, 2007



Judy's comment to my last post (about my being much on her mind lately) reminded me of something. I wanted to pop in here tonight and thank each of you who have prayed for me and sent your good thoughts and wishes since my dad passed away.

These last three-and-a-half weeks have been harder than I thought they'd be. It's so true that you don't know what losing a parent will be like until you actually experience it. All the thoughts I've had! Any of them popping up at any time of the day, like when I'm taking my walks or at night while lying in bed--haunting me, surprising me at their intensity. Or their sadness.

And it hasn't helped that I've had a cold since the day my dad died and a cough, and it's been cloudy, and for this past week my only good ear has been plugged up, and--well, just trust me, I've had better weeks in my life.

But you know? Yesterday the old Debra came back. The Debra who has energy. The one who sees God standing at every corner and glasses half-full and lights at the ends of tunnels and Hope where there isn't any. I was glad to see her. I'd missed her--a lot.

And when she returned, I smiled and thought, "It feels like people are praying for me."

And so tonight, I just had to--again--say thanks so very, very much for your prayers, comments, emails and good thoughts. They all helped me return home--back into the light of joy.


*****

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debra~~You are making me cry today. Yes, the death of a parent is a roller coaster ride. One day you are fine and the next day not so fine. My dad died three years ago on Oct. 31st. Three weeks after he died, I thought I was fine, back to *normal*. I woke up at five a.m one morning and before I even realized I was awake I felt tears rolling out of the corners of my eyes and proceeded to cry all day. After your dad died and you wrote such nice things about him, it made me cry thinking about my dad.

It has been a pleasure to pray for you. YOU are such a blessing to us, your readers.

Maggie Ann said...

My heartfelt sympathy! My Mom passed away 3 years ago..

Donetta said...

Welcome back Debra, It is good to be home :)