Saturday, June 30, 2007




I'm positive that I bug some people and I'm certain that some people bug me. Especially these sorts of people:

Ones who make broad, sweeping generalizations, using sentences like, "Everyone, no one, people today never, people today always...," (as if anyone could know the habits, thoughts and actions of everyone).

And those who go out in a crowd and arrive home complaining, speaking only of the negative actions or words they saw or heard.

And also, folks who believe the entire world is like the newspaper or the nightly news, so they pine for Days of Old (which they've forgotten had bad times, also).

I will confess here-- I feel a claustrophobic desperation when cornered by them and sneak away when I can (or click away madly from their blog).

My opinion? I think we most often find what we expect to. 

We reap what we sow, we experience the ol' 'be it unto you, even as you have believed' thing much more often than when negative times just appear to 'happen' out of a clear, blue sky.

The simplest thing? Driving away from my house and finding negatives. That's as easy as falling out a window--and anyone can do that! 

Anyone can complain and do nothing to make life sweeter. A-n-y-b-o-d-y. And usually if we expect things to get worse, well, they generally will.

But it requires skill, practice and a new attitude to walk or drive around-and discover the myriad of good that's still left-- 

gorgeous houses, 
loyal families, 
well-behaved children, 
supermarkets which have been in business for 80 years, 
long friendships, 
clotheslines, 
happy dogs and the owners who adore them, 
tree-lined streets and sounds of Big Band era music still wafting down them,
yard sales, blue skies, 
flowers, people who hold doors open for you at the corner convenience store, 
drive-in hamburger stands,
barns and farmhouses
good, funny and helpful books, 
wonderful movies and tv programs, 
farmer's markets, churches, potlucks,
Internet friends we'd never met otherwise,
couples celebrating 50 or more years together,
neighbors who share tools and flour and stop and chat with those who still spend evening hours out on the front porch--

--stop me, before I go on all day. For I could, you know.

I've become an experienced, professional seeker of all that is good. And if that bugs you, well, I would say that I'm sorry, except, well,  I'm kinda not.


******

No comments: