Monday, June 18, 2007




While wandering around our city library, I discovered the perfect book.It's called, My Time: Making The Most Of The Rest of Your Life. Gracious. 

The author interviewed many people over 50 about how they felt and what they're doing after their children left home and after facing the facts: they could quite possibly have more than 30 years left to fill! So I'm reading and feeling as though I'm in great company and becoming inspired to make some bold changes in myself.

I highly recommend My Time for those of you who've contacted me (or not) about feeling stuck in your empty house. And well, I can't recommend every word in this book, but long gone are the days when, if a book, preacher or celebrity said something I disagreed with, I'd race away and plug my ears. Those kinds of picky people become one-dimensional and dull. 

Me? I can learn from every person on Earth now--what freedom!

On that same library trip I discovered an essayist with a dry sense of humor which I love. She's Bailey White and I devoured two of her books this weekend: Mama Makes Up Her Mind: And Other Dangers of Southern Living, and the other, Sleeping At The Starlight Motel: And Other Adventures On The Way Back Home. I could not put these books down. Wow. Must buy these.

Books like those help me lighten-up--and for someone who's always leaned toward being overly serious, especially while younger when *everything* was a great big hairy deal--that's a Good Thing.


*****

P.S. If you ever read a book or watch a movie because of my recommendation, I hope you'll tell me. Whether you loved it or hated it doesn't matter--I'm always curious to hear other's impressions of what I recommend. Always!

And below, some of my latest finds for my new collection:


No comments: