Saturday, September 18, 2004

First, The Good News

             Not our carport, just kinda sorta similar.

***

Well, the good news is that the contractor and his buddy got the roof put onto our new carport yesterday. These guys are amazing and have un-soured us toward the building profession in general (I'll spare you the gory details of past contractor horrors).

The other good news is that months ago I painted my kitchen yellow.

Now for the bad news--

Because of the new carport, my kitchen is now a perpetually dark, shadowy, yellow Victorian-like box. My two big windows now bring in only a secondhand essence of sunlight and I must leave on the little counter lamp constantly. The old-fashioned pull-chain light over the sink has been "mysteriously" broken for weeks. I say mysteriously, because nobody is confessing to pulling out the tiny chain which I found forlornly under a plate in the sink. We bought a little kit to insert a new chain, but well, these-things-take-time and all that good stuff. There's a light over the stove, but I dislike that one because it shows all the grease.

So I've been playing Pollyanna's Glad Game (being an expert at it) and here is what I can be glad about concerning my so-far-from-sunny-it's-not-even-funny kitchen:

I'm glad I even have a kitchen. And a house, period.

I'm glad that no longer will the sun shine off of our neighbors' fluorescent blue house and cast a ghastly Smurf-colored haze in the afternoons.

I'm glad I didn't paint our kitchen brown.

I'm glad, very glad that the carport will keep the snow off of our car this winter and I won't have as much snow to shovel in the driveway.

I'm glad God provided us with marvelous builders and the money to pay for this.

I'm glad the carport is beautiful (as far as carports go) and that it will increase the value of our house when we go to sell.

Well anyway, I'll play the Glad Game awhile longer and let you know what else I come up with.


******


Quote of the Day: Gratitude is born in hearts that take time to count up past mercies.
Charles E. Jefferson (1860 - 1937)

No comments: