Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Back to School ~~ Not!



Warning~~This entry may make some intellectual-types scream.

Today the kids in our town went back to school.

It's funny. Even after being out of school for 26 years, I still celebrate this day. I hug to myself the fact that I don't have to return to school.

Oh, the bliss, the freedom, the joy! Balloons and confetti and cake--oh my!

Now, many adults happily return to college, and well, more power to them. But I'll let them have their late-night study sessions and early-morning exploding-out-the-door, their brain-squeezing exams, their I-wouldn't-want-my-daughter-to-read-these English Lit. books, their lectures from liberal-minded professors, their vulgar language in the hallways, their added stress, microwave meals, lack of sleep and no time for friendship.

Call me backward, ignorant or lazy, but I'll gladly pass on all of the above. 

Give me, instead, wide open calendar spaces, time to think, and learning on my own in peace and quiet. Here is one college drop-out who married after her freshman year and never looked back. My Prince Charming came along on the proverbial white horse, scooped me up, and rescued me from my college misery. He then took me to the Land of Happily Ever After (you know, the place feminists say doesn't exist) and here we are today, older, wiser, happier.

All of this is why I celebrate the first day of school. And again, I am grateful.


******


Quote of the Day: An optimist is the human personification of spring.

Susan J. Bissonette

No comments: