Thursday, October 03, 2024

Where It May Be True That No One Is Coming To Help You


"Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise. Without having any chief, officer, or ruler, she prepares her bread in summer and gathers her food in harvest."   --- Proverbs 6:6-8

******

So I was waiting till the righteous anger within me de-escalates regarding how the devastating Hurricane Helene situation is being handled by the government. But it's still here. The way FEMA and some local sheriffs are threatening to arrest volunteers and not let them distribute food or fly their own helicopters is maddening! Makes me livid.

I'll try to remain calm today, though.

And let's approach it this way: right now, today, please make plans to survive alone if you and your home are ever involved in a catastrophic situation. Do not count on anyone to help you. Oh, maybe your kind neighbors, but definitely not the government. Not anymore. Not like the good old days decades ago.

And maybe not even your neighbors, because hey! What if their homes are destroyed and heaven forbid, they are injured or worse? What if they decide to drive away to safer ground?

Sigh.

Years ago I blogged much about prepping for emergencies. Some folks listened, heeded the warnings. Stocked-up. Others just rolled their eyes and clicked on the next blog.

But at least I tried and that's what matters to God. That we obey Him and leave the results to Him, as well. And then move on in the joy of obedience.

Of course, with this hurricane situation, some folks had their prepping supplies washed downstream along with their homes. There will always be that chance. But hopefully they'd created back-up plans, had bug-out supplies ready and got out early if God nudged them.

Yet others still have their homes, but ran out of food, water and resources fast because for 4 years after that dicey 2020 (especially) they insisted they could not prepare ahead. Perhaps some even laughed at our prepper intensity.

Anyway.

Today I'll include links to some past prepping posts in memory of those who are either no longer with us, or who, while sitting in their lightly damaged homes amongst disappeared stores (or ones with empty shelves) --

--now wish they'd respected the warnings heard across our ever-changing American soil.




Seriously? In Today's crazy world I've accepted prepping as a necessary part of my lifestyle. A little at a time adds up quickly and isn't difficult. Oh how important these days to stay ready for anything.


"You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone."   --- James 2:24

It's vital to pray for others, but just as important to give whatever physical help that we can.


*****


While searching for past prepper links, I discovered my post, Presents for Preppers. Now, it's from 2015(!), so some links are broken. Yet you can use the titles there to help you with additional Internet or Youtube searches.

There are many links in that post. Check them out here.


*****

Had some good news this morning. 

My favorite booktuber, Mitzi  (from South Carolina), replied to my comment at Instagram to let me know she was ok and appreciated my prayers. I'd thought about her much this week.

With so many horror stories regarding the storm coming via Twitter and Youtube, please forgive me for not being my usual light-hearted self here today. There's a time for everything and this just doesn't seem to be that time.


*****

Things I’ve learned from the TN/NC flood: - the federal government has billions to aid illegals, but $0 to help American taxpayers - don’t count on FEMA to come rescue you, you are on your own - be ready to die anytime, trust Christ to be truly ready - know your neighbors, and be ready to help your elderly neighbors - be involved with a local church, because they are the only ones that you can count on to help - have guns, and know how to use them - know first aid - be physically fit - have 90 days of food and supplies always - American Christians are the backbone of disaster response, and always have been


******


"This is a list of some organizations currently helping in Western North Carolina.
Please consider supporting them."
Robert W. Malone MD







Oh, and always have some cash on hand. While watching videos of life in the towns after destruction, I'm seeing many "cash only signs" at the shops.


*****



Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be. 
 *** 

 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

4 comments:

Susan Humeston said...

You've done it again!!! The BEST EVER!! You led me to Mitzi and her books, which I am CRAZY about and have subscribed. Isn't she beautiful? And Kathleen Norris, which I knew about, but always pooh poohed, as if Grace Livingston Hill - my FAVORITE, isn't in a similar genre. I'm ready to start devouring all of Kathleen Norris's books - and maybe even, at age 68, collecting them, if I find them in hardback (right now I'm going to be reading them through Kindle).

I can't thank you enough. I have reread so many Grace Livingston Hill books because I love to dive into fictional yesterday. I did just finish reading a book written in 1898, "Home Life in Colonial Days" by Alice Morse Earle. She had ancestors that settled Massachusetts in the 1600's, so she had an abundance of knowledge. How fascinating it was, and how I loved reading about it. I've always been interested in Colonial times from childhood - although I am smart enough to realize that I would not want to go back to such basic living - we may not have a choice eventually. Thank you again for liking/loving the same things I do - and then linking to them.

Elizabeth said...

Just heard today that a crew from our local Home Depot is going up into the mts of NC in order to help out at least until mid December. Told to prepare to be without running water or electricity for at least 3 weeks!! And folks here are busy gathering things to send. The young man in our office complex at the apts where we live is going up Saturday to see how he can help...along with others. So in spite of the ineptitude of our govt, private folks are helping. We gave them some items and a bit of cash and a few boxes of good snacks to take along...if we each do what we can, somehow GOD will surely make it stretch. I also heard early on that Pres Trump had a big lot of supplies taken in to help. And we can pray!! Thanks for your links.

Debra said...

Susan--yay! I know you will love Mitzi even more as you watch. She's a sweetheart and yes, beautiful. I began reading Grace Livingston Hill as a teenager, have a few of her books and reread them sometimes. I should try reading Kathleen Norris again. I know she's a great one for cozy home scenes. It's been a long time. Thanks for commenting!

Elizabeth--thanks for reminding me that I'd forgotten to add the second half of why I'm fuming at the government. I went back and added this: "The way FEMA and some local sheriffs are threatening to arrest volunteers and not let them distribute food is maddening!" And trust me, that's such a shortened way of saying how I really feel. Anyway, it has been a blessing watching on videos the way people are pitching in and helping their neighbors! What a blessing to see that still exists in Today's wild world. Thanks for commenting and reading here!

Thanks so much, Ladies. Blessings, Debra

Pam said...

What a week! It is heartbreaking to see what has happened to the folks who were in the path of Helene. I read an article about an older man and his wife who had been forced to go to the roof of their home, due to rising water. There was a surge and those two and their grandson were lost. This is the time for the helpers to show up--especially since we aren't sure whether or not our government is going to commit to the long haul.