Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Where She's 'Thinking On These Things'


"Finally, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."   --- Philippians 4:8


******


So I'm addicted to another Youtube channel. (I know, I know.)

Cash Jordan. He's like Kevin McCallister (Home Alone) grew up, returned to New York City and became a real estate agent.  (Oh, that similar grin of his!) シ

Cash leads us around NYC buroughs, pointing-out shops and restaurants we'll walk to if we rent this currently-available apartment. After watching 30+ videos (don't judge me. heh), it's as though I've visited NYC and now understand the allure of life there. The old, tree-lined streets remind me of my cozy 1940's and 50's books with their earlier NYC stories.

Oh, and these empty apartments inspire me like crazy to declutter my own little house.

I'm also thrilled to see the city slowly returning to a version of its former self. Whew, what a relief after hearing some doomsayers' 2020 reports.

Now, of course I love the luxurious apartments Cash takes us through, adding his funny descriptive remarks, but you know? I prefer the tinier, cheaper places he shows us, for they stretch my mind. I ask myself--

"If Tom and I had to live there, how would I arrange our stuff?  
Which space-saving ideas would I use? 
How would I make those 2 (or so) rooms pull double or even triple duty?", etc.

I enjoy this challenge for my over-60 mind waaay more than crossword or sudoku puzzles. 

But mostly? Cash's videos make me immensely grateful for our tiny, yellow, paid-for Hobbit Cottage in our sketchy-but-good-enough-for-us town.

Still though, it's fun to peek at how folks live in NYC, even if, personally, I'd never, ever move there.


My favorite (so far) one bedroom (tiny) apartment is here.
My favorite one bedroom, good-sized apartment is here.
Although, this one, also, is wonderful (oh, those shelves!).
My favorite studio apartment is here.
A super-luxurious apartment for sale is here.
A penthouse (for rent) that's been in one family for 100 years is here.




P.S. Even the folks in Cash's comment box seem kind, funny and contented(!) I've read through many a comment box in my day, but his is one of the most consistently delightful.

More? Cash points out apartment features for which to be grateful, things which folks on HGTV almost never are.

******

Oh! And guess what? 

As I wrote at Facebook:


So I don't care how many 80-year-olds are still mowing their lawns, after 42 years of mowing ours, I quit! 😮 Or thought I had, for it's taken weeks to find a company with an opening. But finally this afternoon I spoke with Neighbor Sally's lawn crew and hooray! They'll begin next Tuesday. Whew. Another season of my life ended and I'm fine with that. You can color me grateful beyond words.

And still celebrating this next day!


******

Why today's title? Because rather than complain and meditate upon our terrible humidity or the sad/evil state of the whole world, I'm choosing to think about things still-lovely and of a good report.

Yes, like what I've just now shared with you. Why over-spiritualize and complicate everything? And really, why ruin days by frowning, complaining and sulking?

Life is far, far too short for that.






******





Oh! And nearly forgot. No longer do I need the occasional pint of ice cream. Why not? Because daily I make a smoothie which obliterates all cravings for ice cream and contains a million (well ...) fewer calories.

Interested? Here's my recipe, as usual, with ingredient sizes only estimated and made for you to tweak. シ


2 (very) heaping tablespoons of vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup-ish almond milk (or milk of your choice)
1 envelope of Stevia
1/2 tsp. sugar (optional)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 or 4 frozen strawberries (or fruit of your choice)

I shake these together in a fruit jar, then place the jar in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then I remove the lid, casually slice the fruit with a sharp knife, then shake it again.

Of course, you're free to use a blender or bullet, but since Tom works just feet away, rather than ask each time if he's on the phone, I ditched the blender idea early and now just go old school with a (quiet) fruit jar.

Enjoy!


******

6 comments:

Terra said...

Philippians 4:8 is the Scripture I think of most often, and I thought of it this morning before I read your post. That smoothie sounds tasty.

Betsy said...

I've never seen those videos or heard of the host but may look for it soon. Honestly, I don't even want to think of moving after just moving into this house, (and we still have a few things to do.) We're in a VERY sketchy area here too. I don't know how long we'll stay.
Take care Debra. Enjoy your mowing free time. :-)
Blessings,
Betsy

Pam said...

I see a new Youtuber in my viewing future. I just washed a bit of Cash Jordan, and already know he's going on my go-to list. I may never actually visit NYC, but would love to tour it with Cash, in the comfort of my home! Hooray for getting help with the lawn, Debra!! As I'm getting much closer to 70 than 60, I have changed how I work inside and outside, too. I want to stay active, but I don't want to take unnecessary risks by overdoing it. Another big HOORAY for having not mortgage. It's such a blessing to have a home.

Pam said...

Oops. I didn't "wash" Cash Jordan...should be "watched"

Diana said...

New York wouldn't be my kind of place to live... heck, our city is too big for our liking! We would rather live in a small house way out in the country all by ourselves, no neighbors within miles. Ahhhh yeah. Anyway.... I make a "shake" just using sweet almond milk (Silk brand) and some frozen strawberries (or whatever frozen fruit I have on hand) in the blender. Yummy! Blessings to you, Debra!

Debra said...

Terra--great minds thinking alike, right? :) Let me know if you try the smoothie.

Betsy--I can imagine you don't want to think about moving! I always feel like that after a move, for at least a couple years. :) I'm liking these videos because after seeing totally empty apartments I find myself so enamored with the empty space--and I feel so inspired to declutter. Thanks for reading here!

Pam--that's a good point I'd not even considered recently--that I should not push myself lest I risk an injury. Thanks for the reminder! I'm making lots of changes lately and it's becoming a whole different season. I'm glad you're also enjoying Cash Jordan!

Diana-- I know what you mean, of course. And we kinda did that with our farm, but you know? I so missed seeing people walk past our windows, especially our kitchen window. The eerie quiet of the woods and meadow out those windows bothered me after awhile (and the silence roared in my ears!). But in our current house, people walk by often and I enjoy visiting with our neighbors (who I've found friendlier and less nosey than farm folks). I'll always be thankful for our farm years, and we loved much out there, but this little house in the burbs surrounded by helpful folks is a better fit for us in our later years.

Thanks so much, Everyone! Blessings, Debra