Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Wondering How Many Opportunities I've Skipped


"So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone... make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind."   ---Galations 6:10, Philippians 2:2


******


So, while gathering my bookbag items at the cafe, I spied a team of (semi-pro?) baseball players in uniform boarding a bus in the hotel's parking lot.

While thanking Amy for my delicious breakfast, I noticed two players walking toward the cafe. Though they were in the street's middle by the time I left, still, I wondered if I should hold the door open for them.

People in our area of New York often hold doors open--it's a thing. Blew us away when we moved here in '93. But this time I didn't. Sigh.

Yet what if I had? What if the baseball players were meant to go home and mention, "And in ______, a woman held the cafe door open for us while we were still in the street! What a nice town."

(My visiting brother-in-law experienced a similar thing when he walked with Naomi in the 90's to a nearby convenience store. He told the story twice, even.)

Man, sometimes I'm terrible with those types of split-second decisions. Oh, it's feasible to learn and do better the next time, yes. But often later instances are 'tweaked' from earlier ones so it's possible to blow those, also, without that moment-by-moment reliance upon the Holy Spirit.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Anyway, this 'baseball guys thing' got me thinking: how many other God-sent opportunities have I skipped? Chickened out of? Ignored? 

I've heard Heaven has books about our lives so now I'm wondering something. What if when I read mine, a 'stats' chapter might, oh dear, resemble this:


God gave Debra 368 opportunities to hold the door open for folks. She used just 157 of them.

Debra was given 245 opportunities to express condolences. She used 129. 

She had opportunity to give $4,961 in 'service tips'. She gave $2,704.

God asked Debra to voice thank-you's, congratulations and happy birthday wishes a total of 3,291 times. She expressed them 1,832 times.


Gulp.


Oh don't worry: I'll not allow all this to turn into condemnation. But conviction? Yes, indeed.

I welcome conviction, actually, no matter what form in which it arrives, even via a couple baseball players crossing the street on a memorable springtime morning in May.



"You can identify them by their fruit, that is, by the way they act. Can you pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?"   --- Matthew 7:16


******


Every once in awhile Joyce Meyer Ministries sends us a gift out of the blue. I especially love this latest one for it's such a wonderful daily reminder:


                     "Enjoy where you are on the way to where you are going."   --- Joyce Meyer


******


                    I so love tiny seedlings. They feel like plant babies. 


******


Tom and I found another special movie we can recommend. Noelle (not the Disney one). Really special with messages about forgiveness and also following what God has called you specifically to do.

And has anyone else ever so resembled Robert Redford (besides Robert Redford)?  ツ



******


Oh! And Naomi is camping this week (and next) in NY's southern tier so any prayers for her would be appreciated. Thanks!


******


         (Had to smile... thanks for sharing this at Facebook, Tracy!)


******


Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be. 

 *** 

 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

4 comments:

mizsuzee said...

Hi Debra, I haven't been online much as of late.... I've been processing the passing of my older brother who at age 78 recently died of stage 4 colon cancer. Last week was the funeral, and since he has just myself and my other brother as next of kin, we have lots to do to sell his home and settle his estate. The good part is that he re-dedicated his life to Christ shortly before he passed, so now I know I'll see him again in heaven. I truly believe that had he continued to have regular colonoscopies as was suggested (every 5 years or thereabouts) that this could have been prevented. But he chose not to do it for the past 26 years or so. :-( Just wanted you to know that I am still around but not online as much these days. Big hugs,
Susan

Betsy said...

Hello Debra: I'm so late in commenting these days. I have a feeling I'm going to need to get used to this "new normal" for us and it will be a big adjustment. Living next door to my MIL and taking her to all appointments and making meals for her, etc., eats drastically into my day. But it is what God put onto Dennis's and my hearts for now so we will do it.
Great post and very appropriate for the world we're living in. We keep on plugging away, trying to do good where we can and love people who can often seem unloveable.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Pam said...

As I've grown older, I've become more aware of the fact that the days are fleeting, and it's high time to get my ducks in a row. Nothing is more important than following God's plan for us to love one another. Whether it's opening a door, offering encouragement, giving financial help,etc., I want to hustle when and wherever God leads.

Debra said...

Oh Susan! I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I'm thankful along with you that he's in Heaven, though. May God comfort you as only He can in the days and months to come. (And yes, I had noticed you weren't around online. Thank-you for letting me know what happened, my friend.) <3

Betsy--sounds like you've been very busy with good things! Never apologize for not commenting here, ok, especially since I'm pretty dreadful about commenting at your blog...smile... May God grant you all the strength and patience you need in your new life situation!

Pam--I've also been thinking about eternity and finishing well before Heaven. Sounds like we're on the same page as usual!

Thanks so much, Ladies.... Blessings, Debra