Monday, May 10, 2021

When Your Life Doesn't Look Like Others'


" And you have been made complete in Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority...but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."   ---Colossians 2:10, 2 Corinthians 10:12


******


So on Mother's Day Naomi stepped from her van/home out front bearing gifts for me and she made us dinner. We watched Youtube clips of Impractical Jokers (don't view these unless you know the Naomi-approved-for-parents ones. heh.) and then a movie.

The evening? Wonderful.

Now, most of Tom's and my friends have a 'quiver-full' of kids, with spouses (who live in houses) and nearly all have grandchildren. Our friends have dogs. Larger, more expensive homes. Two cars.

Many travel, take vacations (in non-pandemic years) to cool, fun places. Some ride bikes together, jog, walk or camp. Many do outdoor barbeques and backyard parties. Some shop together and attend crowded street festivals, concerts and fireworks displays.

Basically, Tom and I have (or do) none of that.

But you know? He and I are the happiest, most contented couple we know. And for me, it's not about possesions, activities or even a necessity of certain relationships. But rather--

When we're living the way God wants, our lives will appear unique because He designed us all differently. We can be fulfilled even while living like no one else because true fulfillment comes only from knowing God.

Loving God. Obeying Him, His Word. Not comparing ourselves with others. These will bring us all incredible inner peace even if our outer world just doesn't quite match up with others'.




                                     My Prayer Garden. Early Spring.


" ... for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."   ---Philippians 4:11


"Be a thankful person. Take inventory each day of what you have instead of counting up all the things that you have not. Meditate on what God has done in your life instead of what you are still waiting on Him to do.
Enjoy where you are on the way to where you're going."   ---Joyce Meyer

Of course, you sweet grandmas might highly doubt that I'm perfectly contented knowing I'll (most likely) never have grandchildren. But you'll just have to trust me on this one.  ツ




I hope your Mother's Day was wonderful!

******

Yikes! On Friday while eating lunch, Tom and I heard a huge Boom! outside. We ran to the window and saw white smoke coming from Mike's garage so I went outside, as did our other neighbors (and Naomi) and we all tried to guess what had happened.

Soon a friend of Mike's came out, apologized and said not to worry, it was just a gas leak.

Oh dear. #ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmm


******





Once again I must recommend Recollection Road videos at Youtube. They're so soothing and they recall a world much more familiar to many of us. 

Wave if you see me over in that kinder world.


******







"You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!"   ---Isaiah 26:3




Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be. 


 *** 


 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Hi Debra. I'm really like reading blogs tonight. This moving business is hard work. I'm exhausted and my body is reminding me that I'm 61 not 41 like I was when we last moved. I sure hope this is my very last one on this earth. I'm certainly glad that I rid ourselves of 19 carloads of possessions last summer. I can't imagine having to pack and unpack all of that "stuff". We haven't missed any of it. I probably could have gotten rid of a lot more too. We returned the u-haul trailer this morning and then unpacked the back of the before we were off to Lowes to buy two new toiler. They are VERY needed as the ones here now are original to the house.
I am having fun putting curtains up and now that I have my own dishes and pots and pans, along with a few of our knick-knacks, it's starting to feel a little bit. like home.
Content. I'm trying very hard to be content in all circumstances. I absolutely adore getting to see Piper so often and that makes up for a lot of things.
Take care and many blessings,
Betsy

Pam said...

There is such a valuable, life-changing message in this post. Being content eludes many of us, and sometimes I can be very content for a long period of time, and then discontent pops up in my heart and mind. Although I don't understand why that happens, I do know that it's possible to restore contentment with God's help. Joyce Meyer's words ring true: if we think about our blessings and do our best to enjoy every day of our journey, contentment will follow. Debra, I have absolutely no doubt that you and Tom are one of the happiest, most contented couples around, and I am very happy for you!! xoxo