Saturday, October 24, 2020

Two Minutes of Suspicion--Or--Ha! What a Test, Indeed.


"For the Lord corrects those he loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights."   ---Proverbs 3:12


******


So out on our front porch, I pulled a package addressed to me from our mailbox.

Obviously a paperback book and I thought, "Hmm. I'm only expecting hardcover copies of either Nancy Drew or Judy Bolton. Gah. Did the seller make a mistake? (Grrr.) Or wait. Could this be a gift from someone else? Perhaps something in memory of Sammy The Cat?"

(Do you ever do that? Examine a package instead of just riiip! Tearing it open?) 

Well, I stepped into the kitchen, grabbed the scissors, pulled the book out and oh. my. goodness. Forgive the blurriness, but look at the cover:

                                                            *

                                                            *

                                                            *




Gah. What the heck? 

Here were my thoughts: 

"Okay, who's the meanie who sent me this? 
Some online (former)friend who knows my address and is mad at me?
Some fraidy cat who's trying to tell me I need to lose weight? 
Some Critical Carrie in our neighborhood?"


But here's the cool part. I kept hearing, "Stay calm. Stay. Calm. And think instead of react."

So I quickly skimmed the book, saw it's someone's story about overcoming folks' name-calling, etc.. I thought, "Well, okay, but still. I'd rather choose my own such book in this case, thank-you."

All this took maybe two minutes. Then I checked the return address. (Yeah, yeah, I'm slow.)

Thrift Books. The label said Thrift Books and boy oh boy have I ordered lots of books from companies with that name! So I grabbed the packaging, the book, passed by ol' Tom at his desk then climbed the stairs to do some sleuthing. 

Aha! I'd received an email saying The Mystery At Lilac Inn had been delivered minutes ago and was I happy with my purchase?

Uh, no. Not all that happy. シ

But I laughed. Contacted the seller, told my sad story, snapped that photo and immediately they issued a refund. If they'd issued a long, personal apology I'd have been happier, but hey. Money back is the next best thing.

Today's Lesson?

Tests come to show us whether we've let God change us--or not.

If I'd received that book while in high school? Oh dear. My emotions woulda gone all, "Tilt! Tilt! Tilt!" over into, "WHICH HORRIBLE PERSON SENT THIS AND DOES THE WHOLE WORLD SEE ME THIS WAY?"

And oh how tragic if, at 61, I still acted as I did at 16. If I too often expected bad outcomes, not the best, due to undealt-with insecurities. Some older people still do, you know. 

But personally? I prefer a few uncomfortable moments of God's correction rather than whole decades of remaining an offended, cranky lady, upset with everyone... and always hurting.

Every godly change increases our peace and strengthens us for the future.

And if we cooperate? We're always prepared, always strong enough with God to face anything, even a wild year like 2020. Even with joy.






"But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come."   --- John 16:13


******






Speaking of Judy Bolton books.... 

Years past, I'd collected the earliest books, but I'm just now reading them--and ordering more. Lovely things! 

They whoosh me away to the 1940's and how contented lately have I been to race around with Judy and her friends solving mysteries which, according to the author, centered around actual happenings.

Unlike Nancy Drew, Judy ages and matures throughout the series, in fact, I'm nearing the book where she marries.

Treasures, this series of books.




Oh, and I'm enjoying the old Lloyd Nolan movies where he portrayed Detective Michael Shane. So far this one, below, is my favorite (Tom also liked this one)-- 









******




"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

6 comments:

Robin in New Jersey said...

Oh no! Just curious... What is that book about??

Debra said...

Hi Robin! Thanks for commenting. Here's how Goodreads described this book--


Cow. Slob. Pig. How many insults can you hear before you have to stand up and defend the woman you love? Tom faces just that question when he falls for Helen, a bright, funny, sexy young woman who happens to be plus sized-and then some. Forced to explain his new relationship to his shallow (although shockingly funny) friends, finally he comes to terms with his own preconceptions of the importance of conventional good looks. Neil LaBute's sharply drawn play not only critiques our slavish adherence to Hollywood ideals of beauty but boldy questions our own ability to change what we dislike about ourselves.

Betsy said...

I definitely would have wondered had I receieved that book too! I'm glad you figured it out quickly.

As I was reading your blog I thought about something I wanted to tell you...but I've already forgotten what it was. I think I'm losing it with being home alone so much these days! Ha! If I ever remember, I'll drop you a note here.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Jennifer Williams said...

What a funny book cover! lol I loved all the old Nancy Drew books. I read them all as teenager. I have not read the Judy Bolton series, but I will have to give it a try. And the movie you suggested looks good, too. Might have to be my Sunday afternoon treat. Take care! :-)

Pam said...

I just love that Spirit told you to "stay calm, stay calm." Isn't that just like God! He didn't want you to be upset, but he used this experience to remind you and all of us of the importance of resting in him.

Debra said...

Hi Betsy! Have you remembered yet what you wanted to tell me? :) I do that all the time, too.

Jennifer--thanks for commenting! It's always fun seeing a new-to-me name. I also read the Nancy Drew books as a teen and it's weird but I've never stopped! Only recently though have I discovered the original manuscripts and they've spoiled me for life. I have away my entire collection of the politically correct books which have been updated since the 60's and am collecting these older ones which I love for all their old-fashioned detail and originality. Thanks again!

Pam--isn't it wonderful how we can listen to the Holy Spirit and not fear or freak out as others might? I so appreciate having God's help, especially during these crazy days.

Thanks so much, Everyone! Blessings, Debra