Thursday, August 22, 2019

Indiana Jones or Willa Whiner?



"Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”   ... Joshua 1:9


******



Turning 40 (or so), I contracted that thing called, 'your body is now falling apart'.



And that's around when I began approaching annoyances/big-time problems, differently. You know, choosing to view challenges this way:





---rather than this:





At least, I've tried.

I mean, who wants to stand before God someday in Heaven and be all, "It was just too hard, Lord, and not my fault, either, that I kept messing-up and whining whenever things got tough,"?

So yeah, back around 40 when my body freaked-out, I went online to discover why and how to fix it by natural means, not 'there's-a-pill-for-that' ways. Months later, Naomi gave us the book, Eat Right For Your Blood Type and wow, there was my research! 

All inside one book. Well, mostly. 

And you know? After making adjustments, fixing things, I continued to feel better--and still do all these, gulp, 20 years later.

Fixing what's wrong: it's addictive! Especially when we keep an Indiana Jones frame of mind instead of a Willa Whiner one. Why spend decades acting like her? Why live with broken things when--with some effort--we could fix them? Or for non-fixable things, why not choose an alternative, instead, something just as nice, though different?

Why keep letting disappointment crush us? (Good ol' Debra is roll-her-eyes-familiar with this one.)

This is on my mind because oh Honey, since giving-up on moving away from Hobbit Cottage, I've been fixing what bugs me about her. And now, we're becoming closer friends.

No complete list for you today, just one fix, but first? Why did none of you tell me about scented wax melts?  ツ

Heh. Perhaps because it was too embarrassing for me to mention Hobbit Cottage has a mysterious, musty smell. I mean, hey, maybe I don't keep things June Cleaver clean--but I've tried, especially lately, and I spray those homemade scented concoctions, keep our vents closed over summer and-- . 

And yet? I can't find the exact culprit, though leaving the bi-fold door to the basement open 3 inches for the cats (with a curtain over it) doesn't help, I'm sure.

Anyway, last weekend I spent hours online searching for cheap scented candles with cotton (important) wicks, but that was a bust except it led me to scented wax melts. Oh my! They arrived yesterday and 90% of our problem is solved.

Here's the electric melter I ordered from Walmart--





And here's an example of the 3 flavors of scented wax melts I bought, brownie pecan pie--


(In case any of you, like me, had never heard of these.)


And gracious! This whole set-up is ever so much cheaper (and safer) than candles. Whew.

So yeah, the solution to combat that weird musty smell took years, but oh! Color me so grateful I didn't give up and just lay back on the red couch like a tired lump of defeat.

Quitters? They never know how glorious a fought-for victory feels. How it spurs us on to tackle even more problems which threaten to knock us down.

Never, ever give-up on the things God expects you to do. Why live with regret if we don't need to?





... but don't let that stop you from growing and growing and ---


(Thanks for sharing that at Facebook, Tracy!)





"And we urge you, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all."   ... 1 Thessalonians 5:4


10 Reasons to Choose Wax Melts Over Candles


******





Oh wow. Did you listen to this 10-year-old girl sing opera on America's Got Talent? My, my, my. Beautiful.













"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

3 comments:

Betsy said...

Good Morning Debra. I have been using the wax melts for years now. I love them. But...I also love my essential oil diffuser too. In the winter when the cold/flu bugs are floating around, I diffuse several different concoctions that are supposed to purify the air. I'm glad you found the wax melts and they help your problem. I have lots of candles too that I bought on sale after Christmas at Michaels. You know, the regular $10.00 candles that are now $1.99. I couldn't resist and sometimes I just like that glow of a candle. The scent from the wax melts seems to last longer than a candle though.
I hope you have a wonderful Thursday, chock full of blessings from above.
Blessings always,
Betsy

Debra said...

Betsy--thanks so much for reading here as always! <3 I also love the flame from candles, so every winter I burn 4 white votives at a time in our fireplace. They have cotton wicks and are made by Richland and I buy them using my credit card rewards, well, the greater portion, anyway. I buy 240 at a time and am already set for the first half of next winter. :) Thanks for mentioning the essential oil diffusers! I'd just this morning noted that I wanted to check out desk top air purifiers so now I will look into the diffusers also. Thanks again so much! Blessings, Debra

Pam said...

Debra, we're not getting older, we're getting better. It's so encouraging to read about how you've continuously researched and implemented improvements over the past 20 years. I believe we always have a choice to either move forward, stand still, or move backward. I hope you and all of us who gather here on your blog can continue to take positive steps through life! Debra, I'm going grocery shopping today and I'm checking out the wax melts. My daughter has used them for years and loved them, and I keep thinking, I'll pick some up someday. Today is my day...I'm hoping for some fall scent...Have a great weekend!