Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Debra's World In Springtime. In Order of Appearance.




“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life..."  ... Matthew 6:25

******




My world lately?


First came my birthday on the 16th of March--


--which I stretched out a bit. Around the 27th, still I repeated to Tom phrases like, "Since it's my birthday month, I get to choose what we watch next On Demand (or where we go out for breakfast)." 

He'd always reply, "Birthday month?" But then go along with whatever I suggested.  First time I'd ever tried that, but Honey, it won't be the last!  シ



Then came the annual ice flow in the river down the street which mesmerizes me while sitting on the couch, watching. This photo was from last week(!), but now only an occasional ice chunk flows past.

 (Excuse the blurriness, we're talking major zoom on my camera from our porch, here.)



Then? Afternoons warm enough to sit out on 'Debra's Patio' which to you, looks only like a sidewalk, but to me, means the world after having (pretty much) had winter since 3 days after Autumn's official start. (Ask our weather guy. Even he said that.)

And yes, we have a largish front patio, but the sun disappears from that noonish, making it too cool (and sunless) these early Spring days. But again, hey. 'Debra's Patio' feels like the Bahamas' to me in early Spring. 

And from my chair? This--




Only a beginning, but ohh, I'll take it. Woo hoo! Green. Blessed, blessed green after 5+ months of grey and brown.



Then three days ago Old Rhodie burst forth as did Narcissus. (This photo is blurry because, well, it just is.)  シ

Now here's the sad part. 

My neighbor-gifted lilac bush began dying 2 years ago and this Spring? She's about 98 percent phhht.



Now, at first, I studied online what to do, but oh my goodness. This is how my brain received my research of what it was gonna require to keep Lilac Lady alive--


Spend lots of money on lilac food and chemicals.
Dig a trench around the lilac till you're sweating.
Add all the stuff you bought, re-shovel all that dirt.
Water, but not too much. Not too little either or you'll kill it!
Spend a few nights outside beside the lilac singing Kumbaya.





Then mornings and afternoons, face the sun and pray a memorized 24-line poem over the lilac.
Repeat (and repeat) until the lilac returns to life.





And well, uh, no. 

Any plant in my yard must be a hardy trooper who thrives on neglect. 

Some things just are the way they are and we must know ourselves well enough to realize that.

Otherwise we'll become all bedraggled, worn-out by age 50, having lugged around heavy guilt burdens God never intended for us.

Reader, know thyself, ok?
Know God, know yourself, what you can handle, what you can't.
Forgive yourself, your weaknesses, then move on.

And know peace.





"Be kind to one another (and I would add, yourself), tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."   Ephesians 4:32


"Behold, my friends, the spring is come; the earth has gladly received the embraces of the sun, and we shall soon see the results of their love!" 

---Sitting Bull


If we can't forgive ourselves our imperfections, how can we truly forgive others, theirs?


******




******


And just for fun... more quirky humor from my neighbor, Sue--



******


4 comments:

Betsy said...

So much truth and fun too, in this post. First I saw that last Meme on FB and laughed. It's me!!!! Then I read about your lilac bush. I'm sorry it's struggling to make it, but oh dear, I laughed again at singing around it. :-) . And I love your "patio." I feel the same after the winter we had. In fact, I posted pictures of our deck yesterday in much the same vein.
Enjoy the warmer weather Debra. I can't imagine sitting on my sofa and watching the ice dams break. That has to be scary sometimes. I've heard the cracks and rumbling before when we lived near a river.
Take care my friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Deborah Raney said...

I LOVE your idea of a birthday MONTH! (And sorry I missed wishing you happy birthday, but hey, it's still your birthday MONTH! :) ) I have a May birthday too, so celebrating with you all month long starting now! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I enjoy reading through your post. I wanted to write a
little comment to support you.

Debra said...

Hi Betsy! So glad you enjoyed this post. Technically, the river ice comes from way, way upstream, so it just floats by here. I've never heard those loud noises I've read about, like, in the Little House books. Not yet, anyway(maybe someday if I hear them break away or bump into each other?). :) Glad your weather is better, also!

Oh Deb! You did wish me a happy birthday, my friend. It was actually back in March--remember when I messaged you the Donnie Osmond video card and we both giggled over his singing to 'Debra'? ...smile... And yes! Make the most of your birthday month. You deserve it (and it's fun if you can get away with it. heh.). <3

Anon--thanks so much for stopping by to comment!

Thanks, Everyone! Blessings, Debra