Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Visited His Kingdom Lately?



"For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."  ... Romans 14:17


******


So last night this Bible verse kept me awake awhile--


"... for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."   ... Luke 17:21


And the funny thing? I kept picturing this whole land inside me looking rather like this-- 













It's a regal, peaceful place, in there (I mused) where I can go to rest, anytime.

That is, if I forgive others in my 'outside land' rather than sulk. 
If I'm happy for others instead of resenting.
If I choose trust rather than worry.
If I'm more bold than cowardly and -- 

Gripping my 'right' to be upset/worried/shy then becomes like sending a dark, chaotic cyclone of enemies to that land inside-








For, like, if I refuse to forgive, then God can't forgive me and where's the peace in that?

There are reasons God asks that we die to self. 

Go turning your respite place all stormy and suddenly you start searching on the outside for something, anything, close. But it's never the same lasting peace or rest or joy out there. 

On purpose, God made it that way. So lets both, you and me, keep it beautiful within our own kingdoms, ok? These days, my oh my, do we ever need a place where we can receive from God all it takes to keep going. In joy.






"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."   ... Matthew 6:33



******







So since Tom's and my favorite tv shows are on hiatus, we needed something new to watch and oh! We found something delightful (at least so far) --


It's called Reverie, on NBC. Some very creative stuff there and rather relevant in Today's take-me-away-from-all-this world.


******

And here's something I shared at Facebook:


Last week on my walk, an adorable small boy asked, "Why do you carry that big hammer?" I smiled, stopped and told him it's a cane, actually, and I carry it in case, during the last part of my walk, I get too tired and need it to walk home with."

We both chuckled.

But actually, that's the 2nd reason I take that cane. The first? In case I run across grouchy dogs or wild-eyed men. But I didn't want to scare the little guy.






********



5 comments:

Betsy said...

My first thought was that yes, it does look quite a lot like a hammer with a long handle! Great post today Debra. We had news today that my brother-in-law is being put on hospice care. We had such hopes that he would be healed. Please keep my sister Melanie and their kids in your prayers if you would. All I can do is pray today. My head is so scattered and only the Lord can calm the swirling thoughts in my brain this afternoon. Many blessings my friend, Betsy

Debra said...

Oh Betsy, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother in law. I'll be praying for him and his family and you. May God comfort you as only He can and keep the waters calm within God's kingdom inside you. Hugs, Debra

Debi @ Tuesdays Child said...

Dear Debra,

Thank you for keeping your blog going, so many times you post things that really hit home with me or like with today, things I hadn't necessarily thought of in the same way [such as how to keep the "kingdoms" that are within us. You have a way of putting things that give me a whole new perspective on them and well, I just really appreciate it ... and you. Thank you!)


Betsy, I'm so sorry for what your family is going through and I've just said a prayer for you all. (Hugs)

Debra said...

I appreciate that so much, Debi! Thank-you for letting me know. Blessings, Debra

Terra said...

That little boy saw the giant hammer and he was right. I like your idea of the beautiful world of castles and knights and how we can bring in the storm if we aren't careful.