Monday, March 19, 2018

So How's The Diet Going, You Ask?



“But if you carefully obey his voice and do all that I say, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries."   ... Exodus 23:22


******


So remember that Just Do Better Diet I mentioned earlier?

I love it.

Why? Because, though some people scream otherwise, it's not impossible to choose to do better than you were. With Jesus, we certainly are not helpless, you know.

What's difficult is when we ignore this verse--

"Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else.  For we are each responsible for our own conduct."   ... Galations 6:4,5


... and defeat ourselves with Jane Schmane's custom-diet for her. Or we aim to lose 40 pounds in 6 weeks. Or worse, we go all competitive with a bit of ugly in our heart(!)

That's what makes it hard.

Anyway, this winter I'd stopped walking (hey, we had serious ice and who wants to break her leg?), but then the weather warmed and I ventured out and limped, moaned walked around the block 5+ days each week. From beneath my crocheted cap I glimpsed the same ol' houses and felt the usual hip pain and the temptation to crawl the final few steps to my backdoor. 

(But at least my back didn't hurt. This is the same gal who, 2 years ago, walked past Next Door Neighbor Mike's house and had to turn around because of the pain. Eegads.)

Then a couple weeks ago? Just around the block felt too easy. So I added another street, then another, then I changed my route and oh! What a delight to step past houses I'd not memorized already --



So many garages! But also, a kind of cedar chalet vibe above them.





And now I can walk 5 whole blocks. Wow. (And try not to laugh if you easily walk 5 miles. Heh.) I'm aiming for just one and I'll be thrilled if, no, when I get there.

Also, I chose to begin, again, my stretching exercises 4 - 5 days weekly. I kinda-sorta look forward to them, even.

I drink more water.

I'm avoiding my greatest temptation foods, stuff I should never eat when I'm alone. And I tweak things, like, I skip my usual 5:00 a.m. gluten-free bar on the mornings I'll be walking to the coffee shop.

And yes, I'm feeling better, but differently than you may think. 

Mostly I feel great because I'm choosing to do and be better. I'm choosing action rather than laziness--and--I'm not basing how I feel on any loss of pounds or inches. Nope, I've not stepped upon a scale nor wrapped a measuring tape 'round me this past month.

Instead, I'm believing that making better choices will bring a better me--and--choosing godly obedience will prove the best choice of all.






“There are so many ways to be brave in this world. Sometimes bravery involves laying down your life for something bigger than yourself, or for someone else. Sometimes it involves giving up everything you have ever known, or everyone you have ever loved, for the sake of something greater.

But sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes it is nothing more than gritting your teeth through pain, and the work of every day, the slow walk toward a better life. 

That is the sort of bravery I must have now.” 





******







Usually it's around 27 degrees when I take my walks lately, yet oh! There's that fresh feeling, that slant of Springtime light and tree shadows falling across the ground. How encouraging is that?

Oh and a very special thanks to each of you who wished me a happy birthday!  I had a great, relaxing birthday weekend.





******






******

4 comments:

Terra said...

I admire your thinking and how you are acting on your ideas. Happy birthday a bit late.

Betsy said...

Good for you! It's the small steps. I've been on Weight Watchers for over a year with not much change. I am trying to walk more but it's hard with back and foot issues.
Blessings,
Betsy

Pam said...

After I read this post, I couldn't help but think how wonderfully made our bodies are! Sometimes, I struggle with bundling up for a cold walk, and those first few steps produce some pain, but then, I look around at the sun, clouds, trees, etc., and my heart soars. By the time I get home, I actually feel pretty doggone good! I'm happy that we're still able to get out there! One step in front of the other....

Deb said...

Such wise words!