Monday, November 13, 2017

Life Lately With Mr. Atlas


“Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."   ... Isaiah 43:18,19

******


So the 8 weeks while ol' Debra's lolled on the red couch trying to heal from plantar fasciitis (and grown rounder from snacks, tv and books), Tom's turned into Mr. Annoying Healthnut. He tells Naomi and me 'new' health information from online (which we've told him for 12+ years), he consistently gets up at 4:00 a.m. to exercise at his company's gym, he's lost 25 lbs. and now resembles Charles Atlas.










@#$%^&?!

Okay, of course I'm proud of him. Really I am! But still.

You know those people who nearly always whine, "I'll be so glad when this year is over"? Well, normally that's not me, but Honey, this time it is. This was one of those "just one irritating thing after another" years--

The flea infestation.
Sammy The Cat's thyroid issues.
The too hot/humid summer.
My irritating plantar fasciitis.
The acceptance that we may never move again.
Our washing machine stopped working.
Six trees outside our windows were chopped down.
(There's more, but even I'm tired of all this whining.)

... and I need a fresh start.

But what I need more? To remember truths like this one --


"The only reason you get discouraged is because you forget who you are, who God is, & the fate of what opposes you."  --- Neil Vermillion


Yes. 

Today I serve a God whose mercies are new every morning--not just on a rare January 1st..
Today I can view my circumstances differently and-- 
Lean heavier upon God. Learn vital new lessons and--
Imagine creative ideas for now and other days ahead and--
Become stronger on the inside, even if the outside appears weaker.

Whew. For I certainly don't feel like waiting 48 days (till January 1st) before feeling refreshed and a brand new start free from the downward yank of self-pity.

Nope, now--today--is an extremely better time. Indeed.









******



"Life happens. If you wait for all your circumstances to calm down to have peace, then you’ll be waiting your whole life. God never promised to keep us from difficulties. He didn’t say we wouldn’t have storms, but He did say He would give us peace in the midst of the storm. He calls it a peace that passes understanding. That means despite what’s going on around you, you can still be at peace."   ... Joel Osteen


*****

Those 'remember not the former things' verses are good for me right about now, for I'm still working my way through forgiving Tom for all the times he sabotaged my previous heath-kicks over the years. He doesn't get it and most likely couldn't help it. But now I hesitate to begin again lest he sabotage me all over. It would be less likely this time--but still--the fear remains that I'd see a redder red and the steam from my ears would be steamier. 

Issues. Ol' Debra has issues.  😳



******


I remind myself to count my blessings, not my problems. The blessing number is always much larger!


And if you're wondering--my foot continues to heal and improve. (Though I am being typical and wishing it was happening light years faster.)


******









Oh! And isn't this little retro-looking refrigerator adorable?


******

6 comments:

lorie said...

Oh Debra, I laughed out loud re-reading the post from Feb. 2009. My husband sabotages me all the time. He'll say, "I bought you this chocolate bar, but don't eat it all at once". Yeah right. Or, "I know I shouldn't have bought these sticky buns but they looked so yummy". At this point he will proceed to warm one up and slather it with butter. What's a chunky girl to do?












Debra said...

Oh Dolores--exactly! Tom tells me all the time--"You don't have to eat it all at once." Riiight.... Like a.) it's possible not to or b.) we want to have it around the house to tempt us on other days. Right? Thanks for sharing and understanding--sounds like your hubby and mine were cut out of the same cloth! :) Blessings, Debra

Deb said...

Oh, my goodness do I ever get that husband-sabotaging bit!! I always tell my husband that if he dies, within a year, I will be 30 pounds lighter...and sorry, babe, but not from grief. But because I won't have someone (who can eat and eat and stay thin!) constantly inviting me to go for ice cream, order pizza, make milkshakes at midnight, etc. And of course, I can't say no. What kind of wife would I be!? ;)

Betsy said...

Oh, how I can relate to this. And to your earlier post that you linked. There’s no way I can have candy or chocolate in this house I’m not going to eat as quickly as possible. My husband though, he will support me in anyway he can. That man will go days, literally days, without eating if you think it will help me. Then I feel guilty for being the one to say I have to eat! Have a lovely day my friend.
Blessings, Betsy

Robin in New Jersey said...

When I first read the title, I thought you were going to tell us that Tom was into geography and you have to listen to him tell you all about countries. Lol

Debra said...

Deb--oh good! Someone else who gets it. :) Isn't it so very hard to say no or to throw away what they bring home? (I'm a big hater of throwing away food. sigh.....)

Betsy--really, it's hard to just have snacks around the house, right? And that's so sweet of your husband to support you in this area!

Robin--thanks so much for the good laugh you gave me!

Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra