Monday, October 23, 2017

Everywhere, Teachers.




So I'd wanted to read a book by a celebrity from a favorite tv series. Being a cheapskate I, for months, watched the price go down then aha! Finally thought, "Why not listen to this book for free via Audible's invitation for a trial membership?" 

That 'free' word. Sends good shivers down my spine.  😉

Now, I enjoyed listening to Miss Celebrity's thoughts about her years on the tv series, yes! But the remainder felt, well, empty. Depth-less. So I stopped listening, but began praying for her again (I've often prayed for this entire series' cast).

Well, Audible said I had one more free credit so I asked at Facebook for friends' recommendations and received good ones I'll definitely read someday. But then I went on my own search and found something I so neeeeded. This --








Wow. In A Million Little Ways: Uncover The Art You Were Made to Live, Emily Freeman's reminding me of the need to stay inspired, creative, rather than all at-this-advanced-age-I've-been-there-done-that-already-oh-hum-ish.

Which, yes, the closer 60 looms, the more I've felt. ("Danger, Will Robinson!") 

Promise me you'll stay far from Oh Hum, ok?

Anyway, on yesterday's gorgeous autumnal afternoon, I listened to Emily's words like these--


“I don't believe there is one great thing I was made to do in this world. I believe there is one great God I was made to glorify. And there will be many ways, even a million little ways, I will declare his glory with my life.” 



-- and came away uplifted, grateful and reminded of why I mustn't let creativity slide into the What/How I Used To Be Column.

Here's Emily's blog. And you'll enjoy her podcasts here.


**** 

Then this morning--oh! I discovered that Audible lets you trade-in audio books you didn't enjoy. Very cool. So I sent back the celebrity book, my free credit was restored, and I used it for this --





My, my, my. Another gift from God, one with similar threads as Emily's book, but told in Chrystal's unique style. Unique: aren't you thankful that God created uniqueness so not all writers/artists/musicians (etc.) write/paint/sound the same?

Here is Chrystal's blog.

You remember these verses, right? --

"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live ... to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God."   ... Titus 2:3-5



But you know? Both Emily and Chrystal are younger than me. Yet sometimes it's equally important that we older women listen to the younger ones because--if we'll hear with our hearts--we might remember forgotten things:

-- how it felt to face a brand new decade full of possibilities.
-- the anticipation of unknown adventures and dreams ahead.
-- bright possibilities for change, joy and answered prayer.
-- the fresh newness, the realness, of a God who passionately loves us.
-- and more. 

It's also like this --







The humble anticipate their days ahead with God rather than let an old-age cynicism creep in. They widen their narrow worlds. And if it takes women younger than us to shake away the cobwebs of a wandered-into drabness? So be it. 

God gives you and me stories to tell--and--may we welcome all storytellers He sends our way, no matter what their age or where their stories took them.











******

At Amazon it's easy to sign up for the free one-month Audiobook/Audible trial. Just find a book you want, then click on the Audiobook box below the title. They'll take you from there.


******


Yesterday at dusk, with Emily's words still floating inside my head, I walked upstairs, sat at the window and soaked in the Autumn evening --







******

2 comments:

Betsy said...

You have given me much to think about. I admit that sometimes I find myself remembering past years and looking forward to retirement and ignoring the life I have right now.
Many blessings, Betsy

Terra said...

Sometimes celebrity books are disappointing, I could guess whose you read and didn't care for. One I enjoyed is Carol Burnett's "This Time Together".