Monday, September 11, 2017

So There I Was Last Friday ------


"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."   ... Philippians 4:13


******


So. After eleven months, ol' Debra finally drove the annoying, complicated new car. But only because she had to. 😉

See, on Friday Tom had another colonoscopy (poor guy) and at that place, the prison wardens nurses watch us designated drivers. Trust me, the world will end before a patient drives himself home.

Anyway, a nurse led me back to Tom in recovery and after he stopped sounding so loopy-headed (and I quit laughing at him), we got him dressed. The nurse led me outside to the spot where I was to pick up Tom, then I hurried to the car so she'd not see me trying to figure out how to run it.

Eegads. My outstretched foot was about a yard from the gas pedal (via Tom's pre-setting for exiting) so I had to push the seat way up. Then when the car started (I remembered to step on the brake), the steering wheel zoomed out to my stomach. Ooof! Then I looked down at the gear shift diagram which said you have to move it to the right, then down. Seriously? I'd not seen that since I failed at learning to drive a stick shift (in the 70's with my new husband as the teacher so what else would you expect?).

Of course,Tom's long list of Things to Remember hadn't included this. I tried to find a button on the handle like our Toyota had, but gave up and moved it to the right, then down and, eventually, drove to where the nurse waited with Tom. 

He got in and I took off. At one point he said I needed to close the four window vents by using buttons on the door. "You've got to be kidding," I said. "Take my eyes and hands off the wheel? Ha! Dream on."

Fortunately, the drive home was only around 3 miles. Tom kept talking about how we'll have to customize the Setting Number 2 Button just for me so I can actually breathe while driving (remember the steering wheel in my stomach?). Right. Can hardly wait.  😉

(But seriously, at least now I know I can drive the ol' complicated thing if I must.)






“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” 
― Winston S. Churchill




******


And the winner of The Best Book Debra Read This Summer Award? (Drum roll ..............) ----




What an adventurous life Jeannette's grandmother had! You can read about this book here. I could barely put it down.

Which reminds me--on Labor Day, Tom and I went and saw The Glass Castle (which was taken from another of Jeannette Wall's books). We both super-enjoyed it, yet I can't fully recommend it to you due to the sometimes harsh language. 

Other than that, though, it was an old-fashioned type of film like we all used to go see in our younger years, one which haunts you a few days. 

In a good way. (Well, mostly. Some parts made me truly grateful for the life I've had.)


******






Oh and wonderful news! Remember the coffee shop near us which I never did step into during its one business year? Well, looks like a new coffee shop will be opening there soon! Whew. Thank-you, God, for second chances.


******











******

4 comments:

Betsy said...

I laughed out loud at your description of driving the car. Seriously I did. Although I can drive Dennis's truck, I much prefer her not to. All of the buttons are on the opposite side ias in my car. And it's just plain big!
Have a lovely Monday my friend.
Blessings, Betsy

Pam said...

I'm with you, Debra. After having driven used cars all of our lives, we broke down and bought a new one in 2015. Of course, it had all the bells and whistles. When the sales person showed us how to use the navigation system, I thought it made sense. I was wrong! I just don't use it. The backup camera is a wonderful invention, tho. I feel the same way about my phone. I long for my old flip phone!

Deborah Raney said...

Haha! I laughed out loud too! I'm a farm girl who first learned to drive a stick-shift, but I'm convinced those were easier than the new-fangled everything-is-automatic cars. We recently traded our old, old over 230,000 miles mini van for a not quite so old but still a lot of miles on it vehicle. The difference between the two is that everything-is-automatic on the new one. Ken and I have a similar problem...even though he's taller than I am, he's short-legged and I'm long-legged, so I can barely crawl in the driver's seat after he's driven. And it's like learning to use a computer to get the seat adjusted. I'm so glad he likes to drive and always drives when we go someplace together. Perfect GIF for your post, too! LOL!

Debra said...

Thank-you, Ladies! I so appreciate your humorous comments and I'm happy I could make you laugh, also. I'm finding these days that if we can keep our sense of humor then Life still remains good even when others tell us it isn't. I appreciate your reading here! Blessings, Debra