Tuesday, June 06, 2017

The Wonderful Part About All This Political Fighting



So lately I'd avoided hate-filled comments after politically-themed Facebook posts, but for old time's sake, I read a few on Saturday.

Oh dear. I'd hoped people had calmed down out there, but alas, I guess not.

Anyway, certain Bible verses came to me, like this one--


"But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another."   ... Galations 5:15



Pretty fitting, especially because many folks appear consumed by hatred of our President. Like it's eating them, them, and their gratitude/contentment/hope and their joie de vivre.

It's sad--and not worth it. (They'd disagree, though.)

Then came other verses --


"If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you."   ... John 15:19


"For this world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come." "...our citizenship is in heaven..."     ...  Hebrews 13:14, Philippians 3:20



Here's the 'wonderful part' (as mentioned in my title)--


All this in-fighting reminds me--reminds us--that, on Earth? We're visitors. Pre-Real-Life visitors who God planted here to make a difference during our short stay. Visitors given unique gifts for specific tasks to complete before we move away (to where we'll be rewarded).

But uh-oh, watch out for all those distractions created to keep us from finishing our tasks!











*******




"Successful people maintain a positive focus in life no matter what is going on around them. They stay focused on their past successes rather than their past failures, and on the next action steps they need to take to get them closer to the fulfillment of their goals rather than all the other distractions that life presents to them."   --- Jack Canfield


******



Look what I found on Saturday at a church's annual rummage sale--



Pretty cool, right? (Twelve books for $5.)


Also, five of these vintage, pretty plates ($2) --




And this charger plate ($3), close in color to that retro-looking ottoman I bought and perfect for our little coffee table--






Oh, and this tray for which the woman wouldn't even take my dollar. She gave it to me --




Definitely it was Debra's Day At The Yard Sales.   😉


******

Oh! And what a gift for me online--

Eight whole years had passed since season 2 of Early Edition (perhaps my favorite drama show, ever) had appeared on DVD and I'd nearly given up ever seeing seasons 3 and 4, that is, besides the very few episodes I have on video, taped from tv fifty years ago (well....).

But.... drum roll.... two weeks ago I found seasons 3 and 4 at YouTube! Woo hoo! I've been watching, savoring them, on weekend mornings. Happy sigh.


Here below, just for you, are some favorite Early Edition episodes which, since the late 90's, I've watched an embarrassing amount of times. 

One reason I so love this show? It illustrates the good and bad of doing what we're called to do--and why we simply cannot afford to just ignore those callings. The price is far too high.


--------------------Darn! The powers-that-be removed the original videos I'd listed. I knew it was a matter of time, but I'd hoped it would take much longer. Alas.

I'm in the process of replacing the earlier videos so please keep clicking till you find those which work.  :)



Dad (Season 1, Ep. 22)

Romancing The Throne (Season 2, Ep. 12)

The Return of Crumb  (Season 2, Ep. 14)

Where or When  (Season 2, Ep. 16)

The Fourth Carpathian (Season 2, Ep. 17)

Show Me The Monet  (Season 2, Ep. 19)

Don't Walk Away, Renee  (Season 2, Ep. 20)

Second Sight  (Season 2, Ep. 22)

Up Chuck (Season 3 Ep. 7)

Nest Egg  (Season 3, Ep. 10)

Teen Angels (Season 3, Ep. 11)

Crumb Again (Season 3, Ep. 19)

Home Groan (Season 3, Ep. 21)

The Out of Towner (Season 4, Ep. 1)

Duck Day Afternoon (Season 4, Ep. 2)

Weather Girl (Season 4, Ep. 9)

Run Gary, Run (Season 4, Ep. 10)

Performance Anxiety (Season 4, Ep. 14)

The Play's The Thing  (Season 4, Ep. 16)


******

5 comments:

Betsy said...

Debra, you put into words so appropriately how I feel. And the Bible verses you've chosen are perfect for the times we live in right now. I find myself avoiding Facebook for the most part, only popping in here and there, and then running away almost as fast as I can because of the divisiveness. This morning I woke up with the old hymn, "This World is not my Home," running through my head. The fact that I woke up with it in my mind tells me something right there. Oh, how tired I am of all of this fighting and bickering.

On a happier note I'm very glad you found his shows that you've wanted to watch and you found some very pretty things at the sale too. I think my favorites are the plates. Very, very pretty

Blessings, Betsy

Anonymous said...

Oh I was hoping Early Edition Was on dvd. :(( I liked the show was it Home Front he did later? About home front during WW2. Thanks for the u-tube links !! I liked Judging Amy too. Not some of the things she did but the their family as shown. The house was also so fun to see..including the real life basement. Lots of mother daughter talk etc. I wish they would bring back more of the older shows for sale and not just the ones that are still on tv. I have chosen to not watch so many of them in the first place.
Thank you do much for the reminder where out work and thoughts should be and not be. I try to not see much news. Lately hubby though has been keeping the news on for the lasts three days. No thanks.! Not
relaxing at all. I love the tv show Home Town too. The thought of being able to help your home town thrive is
so fantastic too. Like the Detroit lady...oh I forget her name now! She is on DIY channel.
My husband wants very much for me to get rid of many of my books. It would be easier if I could be sure they could be found at the library but that isn't going to happen. My sister is finding it harder and harder through the years to find even the basic classics. You can find the latest top 10 books but not older ones at all. Not in the library system in the whole areas. I need to clear out other places so I can keep more of my books. I do try to give ones away to home schoolers..and ask what they would like me to watch for at sales too. Not many used stores even have a book section anymore!! Only one keeps dress patterns or craft items. I love hearing about any good book titles from the present or past. You and your commentors have always helped me with that. I don't comment often but know I am reading! :-)) and enjoying every bit of it!! :-))) Sarah

Deborah Raney said...

Wow! Wonderful garage sale finds! Especially that green charger/platter! Just beautiful!

Debra said...

Betsy--I commented a bit at Facebook, but really, it seems like we're on the same page. Again. :) So glad you liked the plates--they make me smile!

Hi Sarah! I'd just been wondering if you still read here. :) How fun to find another fan of Early Edition! I've not run across too many. I still love this show --so many good lessons in it, especially about not giving up when helping difficult people. And oh! I hope you'll be able to keep your very favorite books. Books are such great friends, right?

Deb--like you, I especially like the green charger plate. I keep looking at it from our couch. :)

Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra

mabeane said...

Hi Debra,
I've kept up with your blog for many years. We are as different as can be...but different is just different. Our love for the Lord is the same! I HATE clutter and am the fierce declutterer. Although I do leave my husband's clutter alone!
We have one room in our former home (now my son and his family's home) so it is important to watch what comes in. I did sneak a small doggie in last month! She doesn't take up much physical space but her antics fill a lot of emotional space. I am always looking for ways to have less in the room we occupy. I love to sew and my DIL has made sure I have a sewing area. That helps. Not really complaining because less stuff and less space makes tidying easier.