Monday, June 26, 2017

Let's Communicate and Not Get Mad, Ok?



"Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person."   ... Colossians 4:6


******


So there I was lying in bed at 1:30 a.m. after feeding the cats (spoiled ol' things). Then during a late-night episode of Frasier while trying to return to sleep, a commercial for a Simply Fit board came on with that catchy Wipe-Out tune.





My bleary eyes widened. I thought, "Hey. After 5 years of wishing we had space for an exercise bike (but none poof! magically appearing) maybe I should get that Simply Fit board and twist around on it. I could even store it under the couch. Easy."

Weeks later I used a gift card from my credit card rewards and bought one at Amazon. Last week after Tom got home from work, the board arrived in a box on the front porch and, while peeking from the window, I told him, "Oh look! My Simply Fit board got here. Yay!"

To which Tom replied, "Now, you'd better be careful when you use that thing. I won't be able to pick you up if you fall, you know."

Good grief. What encouragement.  😉

Heh. Fortunately, I knew he was referring to his recently-diagnosed torn shoulder rather than my too-huge-to-lift body.

But still. I did tease him, anyway, about how it sounded. You know, like I was a bloated, klutzy ol' whale.

Communication in marriage. Sometimes it gets easier, other times, not so much.

(Continue to my next little story---)



******


Well, I'd planned to ask you, "So, what am I doing wrong with this plant?" --





.... but then this morning I actually read the directions on the tiny plastic stake. 

Good gracious. 

When Tom gave this to me he said, "It should be in direct sunlight," which means of course, I heard, "It should have indirect sunlight."

Gah. We've been married for, like, forever, but these types of misunderstandings seem to happen daily. From both sides. Not being as bright as we once were,  Tom and I have been forced to discover new ways to communicate. To state things more clearly, concisely. We've had to---it's easier than always being exasperated and annoyed with each other.

Besides, all relationships are worth the effort of making occasional necessary tweaks, especially in today's volatile, "You offended me so I'm outta here," world.

Anyway, the little stake also said the plant should be fertilized weekly and guess who's fertilized it only once in 4 months?

Man, Debra. Read the directions next time, ok? (And listening a tad more closely wouldn't hurt, either.)



"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, 
slow to speak, slow to anger..."   ... James 1:19


"There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."   ... Proverbs 12:18



******


So did anyone try my tasty pineapple Spam recipe yet?  😃  If you did, let me know what you thought, ok? Well, unless you hated it. Maybe don't tell me if you hated it. heh.


******

Isn't this a super nice picture of Naomi and Justin? ---






They took us out for dinner in honor of Father's Day at Tom's favorite Mexican food place. Happy sigh. (And gee, the camera loves both those kids. Must be nice--I've yet to have a camera love me.)  😃


******








4 comments:

Terra said...

Read the directions, good advice. How is that fit board working for you?

Betsy said...

So have you used the board yet? Listening. It's quite the skill isn't it? The older we get, the more we have to listen closely to each other. Dennis and I have come to the conclusion that our hearing must be going. How's the plant doing now?
Blessings,
Betsy

Deborah Raney said...

That's so funny because Ken and I have had the SAME "hearing" problems lately! What's strange is that when we analyze what was said and what was "heard" we can each easily see how the other misunderstood. Not sure why we're suddenly, after 42 years, struggling to make ourselves understood! But we're committed to hanging in there. And we usually get a good laugh in the meantime.

Deborah Raney said...

And yes, I'm curious about that board, too. Unfortunately, I'm afraid it would be a WIPE OUT board for me! I AM a big ol' clumsy whale! ;)