Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Making Dreams Come True




"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."  ... Matthew 6:33

******

Way back in the 80's I tore out a magazine article about the book, Wishcraft, encased it in a clear plastic sleeve and read it often.

That article helped me decide what I loved: mothering, creative housekeeping, books, writing, reading, teaching, gardening, travel. Deciding wasn't hard. The article said to choose--

... what makes your heart beat faster
... what gets you out of bed in the mornings
... what charmed and captivated you as a child
... what you would do if you could do anything

Then rather than say, "But I can't do what I love because I'm too busy/poor/old and I could never make money at it/become professional/certified/outstanding in that field," we should simply ask--

"How can I get more of  ___________ in my life?" 

You know, more of what you love doing.

Like, if you love photography, rather than get bummed-out because your friend's had many photos published in magazines and you feel left in her dust--can you begin by checking-out photography books from the city library? Could you take a photography night class? Can you ask for birthday or Christmas money so to save up for a great camera? Could you ask your famous friend for advice and to nudge you when you want to give up?

The article's main point: The 'all or nothing attitude' is an excuse, a trap to keep you from doing what you love. In everyone's life there's time to do what God's placed in your heart, what He created you, alone, to do (well, that's my paraphrase. I'm not certain the book/article talked about God). We just need to--

... know what we love
... and be persistent in carving out time to do it

That Wishcraft article changed my thinking. I'd been one of those, "I can't do what I love because _______," whiners. (Tsk. Tsk.) But after reading those inspiring paragraphs, I felt encouraged about starting small! Moving forward, even a tad, was excellence. Staying mired down in the Land of Excuses and Indecision was not.

And ever since that article, ever since the 80's, I've actively pursued that list of what I love, the unique arrangement of desires which God placed inside my heart (Psalm 37:4). And I've watched over 90% of my dreams come true.

Wouldn't I rather that number be 100%? Nah. I'm only 58 and the Bible does say--





No, I've got more dreaming to do. More doing, more adventures to take. And actually, I often, lately, seek new ideas, new things I love doing at this autumnal season of my life before I move on to Heaven.

Here or there, Life with God (and following His custom-made plan for us) is awesome. And just the beginning.







******

One of my favorite dreams which came true in large part because of that Wishcraft article? Decades later I now own the best personalized-for-me library in all of Western New York state. (I wrote about that here.) 

My library began in Nevada and grew slowly with books purchased using hoarded coins or gift money at thrift shops, yard sales, book stores and online. How tempting at first to say, "But I could never buy all the books I've loved from libraries!" Yet Wishcraft encouraged me to dump the excuses and get busy, instead, imagining ways to build my dream library.

Decades of making excuses would've gotten me zip. Nada. Nothing.







******



Oh! Some of you asked to see photos from inside this house from last time--




So here are my favorites (ooooo, so nice!)  --










******


And now I'll leave you with some sad news, but I'll understand if you would rather click away right now. I totally get that because, Honey, many's been the day that I've thought, "No. I cannot take one more sad story. Sorry."

So feel free to leave--I'll see you next time. Be blessed, my friend!


              

                                                       *

                                                       *

                                                       *






And for those of you still here? This weekend a friend of Naomi's since high school, lost her husband. I don't know how it happened (Update: a genetic family heart thing), but he passed away and now Danielle is left with their five children to support. They were such a loving family--what an awful tragedy this is.

Danielle's sister created a Go Fund Me Page for the family and should anyone feel a nudge by God to contribute, even a little amount, you'll find the page here.

And of course, all prayers would be appreciated as well. Thank-you.






******

3 comments:

Betsy said...

What a thought-provoking post today Deborah. The last two years have been such a bummer healthwise for me that I've almost given up dreaming. Hubby and I love, love, love to travel. It's long been a dream to sell everything when he retires get a small, very small motorhome and travel this great country of ours that we've only seen small portions of. We've both been all over the world, but have seen very little of our own country. With my health issues, I've almost given up on that dream. But you, my friend, have encouraged me to not give up. Things can and will get better. I will definitely be praying for your daughter's friend and her family. What a sad thing. So many tragedies in this life. I'm so glad we know what waits for us on the other side when this life is done.
Blessings, Betsy

Pam said...

I needed this post! Like Betsy, my health challenges have altered our life in many ways. Thank God for my hubby, who continues to take our roller coaster life in stride. Plus, our faith has been made stronger, and we have hope for today and tomorrow. When I read about Naomi's friend's loss, it made my problems seem so small. I will pray for them.

Debi @ Tuesdays Child said...

I love this post so much! You have so much wisdom and it comes out in every post that you share with us [Honest!!]

Your posts make me think and inspire me. What a gift to have, my friend! (Hugs)

Love,

Deb