Friday, September 23, 2016

To Him It Is What?!



"If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do, but doesn't do it, to him it is sin."   ... James 4:17


******


Did you see that verse? Man oh man. That must be one of the most haunting Bible verses, ever.

Especially when you apply it to being online.

I mean, Facebook tells me when it's a friend's birthday, but hey, sometimes I'm pretty busy there, so I consider sending good wishes later.

Then it comes to me-- "Riiiiight. Like the time you procrastinated _____'s birthday wishes and then forgot entirely till two days later?"

Gulp. If I know that wishing others a happy birthday (and adding a few extra encouraging words, also) is good, but I don't do it? For any wobbly ol' reason? To me it is sin.

Same goes when a Facebook/email/blogging friend asks for prayer and I can't pause long enough to assure her I'm praying (if God so nudges me). Or at the very least, if I don't just simply pray, then to me it is--ouch--sin.

If I read that someone has lost a spouse/friend/pet and I can blithely move on to the next post without commenting, "I'm sorry you lost someone you loved"? Then to me it is sin.

If a friend is promoted and I can't offer congratulations? Or if I read an article/post so confirming, life-changing for me, yet can't say, "Thank-you!" (especially after God's nudging)? Then to me (moi!) it is, yes, sin. 

And ok, some of you might be thinking, "Debra can be kinda hard on herself." And yes, sometimes I can (blogging has shown me that occasionally). 

And yet, the examples, above, gosh, they're such basic common courtesy. Really, if I'm not even doing those, then how radical, how bright of a light am I in Today's super-dark world? 

May busyness, indifference and blindness be flung away far from me. May I stop settling for boring mediocrity.

Even if I see other Christians skipping these good things. Even if I'm called old-fashioned. Even if, at first, I don't seem to reap much good. Even so, may my choices be the ones God's taught me to make. 

Time after time after time.




"Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep."... Romans 12:15



******




Maya Angelou said, "When we know better, we do better," and that's been a comfort to me about mistakes from my past. ("When I didn't know better, I often messed up." --Debra)

But oh the responsibility when we do know better!

Yes, even when we're online.



******


Interested in watching a little bit of Buffalo history and present-day good stuff around town? Go here:

Buffalo:  America's Best Designed City

It surprises Tom and me how many good changes have taken place in Buffalo since we moved here in 1993.


******



(Especially this year after our dreadfully long, hot summer. Oh dear.)

Happy Autumn to you!


******


Free Kindle Books:


The Miracle Man

Maggie's Mondays

Song of the Meadowlark



2 comments:

Betsy said...

Wise words Debra and some I have had lately too. God turns even the smallest acts of obedience into wonderful things. I'm going to try very earnestlyto "step up my game" in these area.
Blessings,
Betsy

Debra said...

Thank-you, Betsy, for your encouraging comments! It always sounds like we're on a similar Life road. :) Blessings, Debra