Monday, August 29, 2016

No, Really--Your Part Matters.


"The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable."   ... 1 Corinthians 12:21,22


******

In high school I took Physical Science, obviously a required course, otherwise I'd never have darkened that door. Sheesh, I struggled and groaned through all but the Periodic Table part which--wildly-- I didn't hate. But the rest is a sorry, nightmarish blur. 

Yet, Mollie Bloomstrand (who sat beside me) understood it all. And she wasn't even haughty about it, but rather, I'd ask her questions and never did she make me feel like the science moron that I clearly was.

But still I wondered--why did science appear simple to Mollie (and various others), but not to me? Not much came easily to me, only English/creative writing and gymnastics and--Well, that's about it. (I was a whiz at French, though, in Jr. High.  Does that count?)

No, I had to strain my brain just to get report cards so average you'd yawn to see them.

If only I'd understood then about people being gifted by God to do certain necessary-for-our-world things. That He'd created and equipped taxi drivers and doctors and morticians and bakers (and all others) with specific giftings and world-spinning purposes in mind.

I never did really understand science (or higher math or playing musical instruments or--), but that was ok. God created me to be, amongst other things, a writer, and there came a time to accept that and stop kicking myself for not being talented at much else.

Need further proof of all this? Well, you can read about Mollie Bloomstrand online, (though she married a man whose last name is Bloomsmith. Did he sit in front of her in a class with alphabetized seating? Hmm... Interesting thought. ). Anyway, Mollie went on to become one of our Country's greatest authorities on behavior of primates in captivity. She's even Doctor Mollie and oh, can you imagine all the research and science classes she's had to take to get there

Here she is, at 57, still studying primates and publishing books/papers about the effects of 'zoo life' upon them, still leading teams in their hands-on research and still learning from the animals, themselves, all they can teach us.

And here I am, also at 57, just writing about life at Hobbit Cottage and all the ways God is so patient with me as I learn to know Him.

And we're both, Mollie and me, doing what God meant us to. 

We're fulfilling our wildly different callings so to make this world spin more smoothly--and that's just as it should be, with no competition or hanging of any heads via insecurity (me) or wishing we'd been given other gifts, instead. 

Nope, we're both encased within a peace which only comes from obedience to God and His unique, custom-made plan. And how sweet is that?

Sweet. Very sweet, indeed.






                    "We all need each other. Each person's calling is vital, important, yours included."



******


"One of the best cures for pain, illness and physical discomfort is creative thinking. It fills one with a sense of well-being, an indescribable joy which carries one's thoughts and imagination along, so that one's body can be forgotten. Creative effort lifts one above the senses of the corporeal body. It is in periods like these that I have come to realize that work is a sacred thing, a way to praise God."

.... Lois Lenski, Journey Into Childhood


******


Free Kindle Books:


The Marvelous Land of Oz

Anne of Green Gables: Complete Collection

CATastrophe

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Amen! I often feel very insignificant in the grand scheme of things but I also know that God knew what He was doing when He created me. My kids are all brilliant in their various fields of study and so is my husband. And then there is me. Never graduated from college. Just a Mom and Grandma that holds a crochet hook and knitting needles! And I'm learning to realize that's okay. Thank you for the reminder today.
Blessings,
Betsy

Debra said...

Betsy--we really do have much in common! In my family it's music---everyone's talented in music. Me? Uhm, no. No, no, no. But it's so comforting to remember that God didn't forget about me--He just gave me (and people throughout this world) *different* gifts! :)

Blessings, Debra