Saturday, December 05, 2015

For-Preppers-Only-Saturday



"Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success."   ... Henry Ford

“Always desire to learn something useful.”   ... Sophocles


******



If you're still here after reading my title--hooray! Let's move on, my fellow prepper friends.  

I've been meaning to share this:  keep hard copies of emergency information. You know, like real paper books, pamphlets, notes you've taken on paper, etc.

In most emergencies, electricity fails and your favorite helpful prepper website (and Pinterest) will be gone. Well, unless you've got a terrific back-up energy plan ready, that is, but to be wise (and prepared in case of an EMP)? Get everything down on paper and keep it all in one easy-to-remember place.

For instance, upon this so-retro-cute (estate-sale-find) tray:





... I keep my most helpful books. Beside my bed, actually. After a disaster, who wants to race in circles, grabbing her head, squealing, "What do we do now? What do we do now?" Not me, so I keep my books close:





Few of these books are probably on other preppers' lists, but they're on mine. Collect the books which you believe will be most helpful to your own family, in fact, you probably own a few good ones already.

And again, gather them together and remember where you put them.  :) 






******


This morning I watched another episode (via Netflix) of Small Space, Big Style, a fun, helpful show for we who live in tiny houses. (Most of the homes scream modern-and-too-sparse to me, but I prefer the ones where people cram all sorts of color and creativity into their small space, making for cozy, inspiring rooms).

Anyway. A couple had a nifty votive chandelier which I tried to find for you online, but gave up. It was all white and curly-cued and had clear glass cups for votives.

First, their chandelier made me want one. Bad.

But after I calmed my emotions, I thought, oh well! In case of an emergency, I could use our present don't-like-ours-much chandelier in the same way:



After removing the light bulbs, I could place small green chilies cans (or an equivalent size, perhaps spray-painted white on the outside?) inside each globe and place a votive inside. Seems like they would give a nice amount of light to the room.

Just an idea. Don't you also find that, the more you search and keep your mind and eyes open, the more you discover thousands of clever ideas out there?


******



"The prudent sees danger and hides himself, but the simple go on and suffer for it."  ... Provers 22:3


"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong."  ... 1 Corinthians 16:13


******



Oh, and in case you missed it, here is my Pinterest prepper idea page.







******

No comments: