Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Ice Queen Cometh ... So What?


 

"If I say, “I will not mention him, or speak any more in his name,” there is in my heart as it were a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I am weary with holding it in, and I cannot."   ...Jeremiah 20:9

****

Ice storm! All night, freezing rain like bullets (rocks?) fell upon our roof only 18 inches (or so) from my head. Then once, boom! The night turned even darker, for our neighborhood lost its power. Only for a few seconds, though. Whew. 

Could the boom have been the sound of these huge limbs falling into our street?



Whatever, Tom and I awoke to a world where (apparently) the Ice Queen threw down buckets of water which coated sidewalks, mailboxes, electric lines--everything--then froze.


Debra's seen a few ice storms in her day and she does not like them. 

But you know? Inside Hobbit Cottage all is warm and glowing with contentment so why complain?  

It's rather like Life, I think. The world outside grows colder (perhaps you've noticed), but on the inside around our hearts? That area need not cool (or worry) just because of the outside's harshness. 

God provides ways for us to shine like beacons so to keep us warm and so to tempt the ice-encased to draw near the Fire.

It's natural for Him to make ways where there appear to be none, to keep us standing when others drop beside us. What matters is that we remain beside the Fire, warming our fingers and all else, doing our part to revive hearts gone to ice.




*******

"Wake up! And strengthen what remains and is about to die..."   ... Revelation 3:2


"He makes his messengers winds, his ministers a flaming fire."   ...Psalm 104:4





Just a note--all the white upon the trees in these photos is ice, not snow. At all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting concepts, Debra! I really hope the electric hangs in there for you guys!! My friends in Watertown are in similar straits...I hate ice storms...but if you can stay inside and be warm, all is well. I fell down in one years ago and broke my tailbone...NOT FUN!! STAY INSIDE!!!
Elizabeth in NC

Terra said...

Warm and glowing with contentment, I like that.

Debra said...

Elizabeth--aw, I'm ok. Thank-you for being concerned.

I did have to go out today to the supermarket (couldn't avoid it), but the only tricky part was first clearing away the fallen limbs from the end of our very slippery driveway. The store's parking lot was actually not bad at all--many's the time I've walked in worse. But I'm back home to stay and finally the air outside is warming.

Terra--glad you liked that...

Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra

Rita said...

Thank you Debra. I turned so pale today when we were eating out the man who took our order asked 5 times if we were all right. I woke up worrying, fearful, and wanting to pull away from the harshness of this world. I did not know my thoughts were affecting me so. As the day has gone on I have given more and more to the Lord and I pray by morning I'll be back to myself. Thanks Again.

Yellowhouse Grandma said...

Same here in Michigan! Lots of ice and power outages. We were thankfully out only for about 3 hours during the night. Some say it will be 5 days before others get their power back! Makes you appreciate it the more! Thanks for your thought Debra! Have a Blessed Christmas!

Debra said...

Rita--thanks for sharing what you'd experienced ... I totally understand and know, myself, how often each day I must return to 'my center' (Jesus) lest I start thinking some pretty scary thoughts. It's a good thing Jesus is strong enough to handle all this wild nowadays stuff, right?

Linda--stay safe! I hope your ice, like ours, melted overnight. We're still cold, but at least the ice is gone. May you and your family share a blessed Christmas, also!

Thanks, Everyone! Blessings, Debra

Anonymous said...

Yippee!! Your ice is gone!! My friend up in Watertown still has theirs. We hope none comes this week while we are traveling (up to see Mt. Vernon, at request of our daughter who loves history!!)