Sunday, May 02, 2010

When Your News Is All Bad


I know how it is.

When everything is going wrong--and appears like it will continue that way--the temptation is to plop oneself upon the nearest comfortable couch and sulk. And worry. And imagine dire futures. And panic. And worry. And cry. And call friends on the phone and complain and set them to worrying. And get up and go to the kitchen for comfort food. Or call out for it. And then chew and chew and imagine that your best days are behind you and now just worst days are ahead.

And some people get mad at God and blame Him for peoples' lack of wisdom and foolishness and for accidents and for years of eating wrong foods and no exercising and smoking and drinking and pollution and worrying and stress and not going to bed earlier. Some people don't get it that God--truly--is perfect and never made a mistake in His whole life.

But what I'm learning to do in times of trouble? I'm learning to sneak and steal time alone with God so that I can fall more deeply in love with Him, for it's that love which makes us rich in joy and thus, strength. I pray, He listens, He speaks and I am comforted. We take walks or go out to eat or out to a movie, He and I, sitting side by side in the dark theater. And I lean against His shoulder and find my deepest needs met there.

And I spend hours soaking in His words, reading or listening to my favorite teacher over and over, the one who makes me giggle at myself and gets my blood zipping through my veins until I rocket off the couch to go do good for others.

And if there's something I can do about the trouble, well, I learn all I can. I go online and search for changes I can make right this minute. I stay proactive, positive, too, and learn and do and learn and do, all the while trusting that God will lead me where I should go for help and everything in the end, somehow, someway, will be ok. Someday all will be well with my soul.

That is what I'm learning to do in times of trouble. That is what I do to come out stronger over on the other side of it.



***************


The farther we allow ourselves to sink, the longer and harder it will be to yank us back up.
*******************

"In Your presence is fulness of joy..."


***************

We are so not helpless. We have the best Helper of them all.



*********

Found this today. Loved it.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

A wonderful post filled with good advice, Debra! Enjoy your Sunday! :)

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Debra~ Thank you so very much. It seems like every day I hear of new people getting diagnosed with cancer or some major stessers coming into peoples lives, so I am sure that this post will be a comfort to many people - and especically me.
Thanks,

Lisa :o)