Friday, December 23, 2005

It's That Time Of Year Again


It's that time of year when, like this morning, I heard we would have a high of 43 lovely Fahrenheit degrees and my heart said, "Hooray! A nice, warm day for shopping and maybe even a walk."

It's that time of year when I find myself at the supermarket two days before Christmas, even though I promise myself every prior year that I'll shop way ahead so I won't get caught there in the maddening crowds.

It's that time of year when I recall that the supermarket's maddening crowds aren't so maddening after all. They're even what one may call festive, though in a feverish sort of way. Christmas music is playing and some people are even humming along. Smiling, too, as they reach for the whipped cream.

It's that time of year when at least twice a day I must remind myself what Christmas is REALLY about.

It's that time of year when I lecture myself to stop thinking it's all about crossing tasks off my list, and instead, just enjoy, enjoy, enjoy what I am doing...

It's that time of year when I sit with a cup of coffee, listening to my old 1960's Christmas memory-rousing record, looking out at the snow outside with a cat beside me, and thinking, "It doesn't get any better than this."

It's that time of year to wish each of my readers hours to sit and reflect and be thankful...hours to spend with your family, accepting them just the way they are for at least this one day... and hours to bask in the joy of Him whose birth we celebrate.

Merry Christmas!

***
Here is a special page to help share a snowy Christmas with you in case there isn't even one snowflake around you for miles and miles. A special thanks to Wilma for sharing this with me.

No comments: