Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Do This And You May Just Feel Better




"Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness."   --- Romans 12:6-8


******



So I watched a video, Baby Boomer Life Skills That Are Useless Today and wow. Made me think.

Oh, not about whether the skills listed actually are useless today (I disagree about a few), but rather this:

With their examples in mind, perhaps I have more than 5 or 6 skills, myself, after all! シ

So in a draft folder, I created a quick list and who knew? My list grew to 55 skills, not counting various detailed subsets.

Need some examples? Well, because I'd love for you--today--to make your own list so to encourage yourself, here are a few of my 'skills'--

Cooking. Baking. Keeping a clean-ish house. Gardening for food and flowers. Wallpapering. Painting walls. Driving. Writing in cursive. Shopping at stores online. Using a computer. Traveling by train. Caring for children. Being a food prepper. Using a toaster oven. Teaching Sunday School. Making coffee. Unclogging a sink. Riding a bicycle. Mending. Composting. Making candles. Creating photo books online. Crocheting, Reading Roman Numerals. Decorating. Encouraging.


You get the idea. 

Some abilities sound tiny, ok, but you know? I've watched Youtube videos where young folks had no clue how to do some of those. And at various points in my life, neither had I, that is, until I took steps to learn. Then do, risking failure, but not quitting early.

In other words, many skills require a simple desire to learn, then a boldness to step out and try. Then rinse, repeat (as they say) until that skill becomes second nature. 

Today's homework? Create your own skill list. Surprise yourself! List all the detailed subsets if you wish (like for me, being a food prepper requires keeping lists, discovering storage ideas in my small house, rotating food by dates, cooking over an open fire, etc.). 

Make your list as lengthy as you wish!

What might happen after you create your own list? You may step away encouraged. Relieved that you didn't reach your advanced age with few abilities. And more? Challenged to try new skills, ones you've perhaps procrastinated learning for decades.

As Joyce Meyer often says, "Step out and find out." Learn, try, make mistakes, gain experience, move forward.

Become the you God intended.

We can do this, especially if Jesus has asked us to s-t-r-e-t-c-h for who knows why? Maybe He needs us to be a bit more skilled for the next thing He asks of us.

And how marvelous to be prepared ahead of time!





******


This was lovely: 15 Things to Declutter Before the Holidays. Not just your average decluttering video! Lots of ideas I'd never even considered before.


Oh! An upcoming movie about Bonhoeffer. (I keep telling you good things are coming.)  ツ


And Ariel found a secret room (!)


Aww... I'm seeing snow outside my window, but you know? On November 21st I was still pulling cherry tomatoes from my experimental front garden, so am I going to complain about a few flakes? Probably.  ッ


*******

Have you ever tried ThredUp? They bill themselves as the largest online thrift store. I used it for the first time last month, bought three winter tops for cheap, no shipping cost, and was delighted with my purchases--although--they did take 2 weeks to arrive. 

Oh well, the growth of patience--its a good thing.


*******


Is this so cute or what?



(A stunning photograph captured by Polish photographer Jacek Stankiewicz is making headlines in various media outlets today.

His work has earned him a finalist spot in the Wildlife Comedy Photography Awards.)





And always remember ... none of us are helpless!


******




Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be. 

 *** 

 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

3 comments:

Pam said...

I just loved this post! Thinking about all the things we can do, instead of dwelling on what we can't, is time well spent. My husband and I had a virus that knocked us off our feet, and he's still trying to recuperate. I've been making lots of comfort foods and meals that I used to make regularly. I even whipped up a batch of hotrolls (not my best effort, but still really good). It has made both of us happy to look forward to our old-fashioned meals. Most of us have been blessed with many talents and I'm excited to start making my list.

Clutterbug (I think her name is Cass) is one of my daughter's favorites. She has become proactive when it comes to donating the many clothes, toys and books her little girls have outgrown. In fact, she called me yesterday and told me a local charity thrift shop was in desperate need of kids clothes and winter coats. We collected stuff from our closets and filled the back end of her car and delivered it. It felt so good to get involved in helping.

Thanks for keeping us on track, Debra!

Betsy said...

We all have so many skills that God has given us if we just look for them. Monday I babysat with a couple of other ladies for 10 toddlers, age 7 months to 18 months. Oh my! It's been a few years since I did that. It was for a meetin of the leaders of a city-wide ladies Bible study. My special skill, rocking to sleep a little one who was not feeling well at all. Poor thing. I forgot I used to be known as the "baby whisperer". lol
I love to make my own homemade noodles. I our house is pretty clean if you just pop in for a visit.
You made me think. Sometimes I think the older I get, the less I have to offer, but we all have something we can contribute.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Debra said...

Thanks so much, Pam, and oh my. I do love comfort food. :) I'm glad you're feeling better and by now I hope your husband is back to 100%. Great idea about donating the children's clothes! Oh, and I do hope you made your skills list--mine kind changed my perspective about much!

Betsy--oh my! All those babies. Don't know if I could do that now--good for you! I also hope you made your skills list. I'd guess you'd have at least one hundred!

Thanks so much, Ladies! Blessings, Debra