Saturday, September 17, 2022

Not For Book Lovers Only

"As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace..."   --- 1 Peter 4:10


******


Uh oh. My book snobbishness is showing.

See, from my 3 favorite 'booktubers'--






--I've compiled a (long) list of books they made sound remarkable. 

Yet now? I'm thinking probably it's the women, themselves, who are the remarkable ones. They make me smile and inspire me to previous Avid Reader of Books status, even while recommending books I'm iffy about or even, uh, no-ish.

Book talk--any book talk! How it motivates us bibliophiles.

But anyway, finally I'm attacking that list of mine. Most of these booktubers' recommended books are at Open Library so I zip over, begin reading and uh-oh. Eight times out of ten I'm disappointed.







I'll not share specific titles (lest I offend scads of you and you never return here again), but below are some actual comments I noted about certain books on my list:

 
Read it all, but well, it barely kept my interest. Meh.
Began great, but a ghost appeared. I skipped toward the end and discovered it was real. Sigh.
Read part, but far too depressing.
No. Just no. Too complicated to say why.
Began it, didn't like it. Immediately lost interest.
So-so. Maybe I'll continue reading later. Probably not.
Started, but it's too silly and I don't care that it's a classic, either!


But you know? From age 14 I've experienced this, and well, after 50 years you get used to loving books no one else has even heard of (or desires to read).

Speaking of age 14 (or 13), that's when I realized which gifts God gave me:

Encouraging others
Writing
Teaching

I knew and other people noticed and told me, as well. God never meant our gifts to be a confusing secret! (Where's the wisdom or efficiency in that?)

And still it shocks me (no, really) the comments at various ministry sites where elderly older folks exclaim, "I have no idea what my gifts are. Please pray God will show me."

We'll all use our gifts in Heaven to also keep it running smoothly and what I'll always appreciate? That I began practicing those gifts early. That (mostly) I didn't let being a goofy kid stop me from doing what I loved, including reading books my same-age friends never did.

This all created traveling a unique pathway. 

One of not only joy, but an awareness that Jesus remains beside me even when others quietly walk away. Always He'd, instead, direct me toward those He knew would want (and receive, not reject) my help--and Life went on.

And I wouldn't trade a moment of it.






 "For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them..."   --- From Romans 12


Still not sure of your God-given gifts? Go here (scroll down). (And for Heaven's sake, don't complicate it! Complication ruins everything it touches.)  シ


The more we know what we like and what we don't and where we want to go, the less confusion we'll experience.


Our God-given gifts are not to be treated as a hobby. Instead, much of our time should be devoted to ministering to others through them as God meant we should, not part-time, but as full-time as possible. In Heaven, we'll be held responsible for this and for our serious thought and action given to His individual calling within us.


******


My Top 8 Favorite Books:


  1. The Bible
  2.  Chicken Every Sunday
  3.  Thoughts of Home
  4.  Anybody Can Do Anything
  5.  Mary Emma and Company
  6. . Mama Makes Up Her Mind
  7.  The Calico Year
  8.  Martha's Vineyard Isle of Dreams


My Top 8 Favorite Book Series:


  1. Tobey Heydon series by Rosamond du Jardin
  2.  Little Britches by Ralph Moody
  3.  Judy Bolton by Margaret Sutton
  4.  Janet Lambert's 2 teen series
  5.  Nancy Drew (originals only) by Carolyn Keene
  6.  Ramona Quimby by Beverly Cleary
  7.  The Ladybug Farm series by Donna Ball
  8.  Gladys Taber's Stillmeadow series


I discovered Downie Live, a new-to-me Youtube traveler and Tom and I are enjoying his latest train adventures.




Seriously, I was one goofy kid. I used to love watching Lawrence Welk and often sat upon our couch viewing it alone.  シ

(Thanks for sharing this at Facebook, Dolores!)


Coming soon to a nation near you!








Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be. 

 *** 

 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

4 comments:

Pam said...

I remember (20+ years ago?) when there were tons of books and speakers focused on finding your gift. We were attending a church that handed out booklets and each of us took a test to see where we fit. Although I understand the importance of using what God has given us, it seems that our gifts often find us. I dunno. But one thing I do know is that we are complex beings. Wonderfully made by God. A man-made test probably isn't going to cover all the fabulous ideas our Creator has for us, but for many, it was a good start.

Oh Debra, I remember watching Lawrence Welk, too. We lived on a farm and our antenna only pulled in one channel. (Channel 7, KCMT, from Alexandria, Minnesota). Now I can't remember if it was on Friday or Saturday night... We'd make pizza (the kind in the box with a packet of dough mix, a little can of tomato sauce, and an envelope of parmesan cheese. Gino's??) We'd brown up a pound of hamburger to add to it, a few mushrooms, extra cheese, and we thought we created fine dining. I am such a sucker for those walks down memory lane. Thanks, Debra!



Pam said...

I had to check, it was Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee pizza mix. How could I forget that?

Terra said...

Another enlightening and leavened with fun post from you. I do recall my parents enjoying Lawrence Welk and I watched many shows with them. My post today on my blog is about my favorite novelist. I see we share two gifts, encouragement and writing.You are so right, we are never alone, Jesus is with us at every moment. That means a lot to me, as a widow living alone.

Betsy said...

I love to read too, but I think my gift is knitting/crocheting. Almost everything I make goes to various charities. I love doing it too so it's a win/win for all.
Blessings,
Betsy