Monday, August 22, 2022

Where She Found a Friend In an Unexpected Place



"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."   --- 1 Corinthians 6:19,20


******



Since 2000 I've occasionally searched online for Esther Ruth Silvey. 

Back in the 4th grade she and I lived on the Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary and one night she invited me to dinner to meet her six siblings, all with Bible names (perhaps that even inspired me to name Naomi, well, Naomi).

That June, my family moved away, but you know? Esther Ruth soon wrote me a comforting, funny letter. I'd always loved her natural quick, dry sense of humor. (Think 10-year-old Erma Bombeck). Fifty three years later I still see her smiling eyes.

Most likely I wrote her back, but Life went on for us both as it does at 10 until, as I said, I casually searched for her online.

This morning, after 20 years, I located her. She's lived in Heaven since 2020. 

Being human, part of me is sad. How I wish her obituary wasn't all that popped up. Yet amongst many hobbies, she enjoyed journaling and I appreciated how her family included this from her writings--

 "We come to a great awakening, our place in the passage of time is so very short. This awakening prepares us to turn our lives and future over to God who longs to bring us to Himself. It brings comfort to reflect God’s final day in Revelation 21:4 “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away”.


If only I'd found Esther Ruth sooner.

But you know? Heaven these days, to me, anyway, feels almost like nextdoor. Is Esther really all that far away?

Many nights I awaken, crawl downstairs to, uh, 'visit Mrs. Murphy', feed Daniel The Cat, then climb back up here, perhaps then to make certain the world is still spinning via my laptop. 

Afterward, I return to bed and picture Heaven and its people, houses, meadows, towns, animals, angels, flowers, buildings, parks, fountains and coffee shop bakeries. And my house there. My garden, the cats waiting for me. The friends. The relatives. And Jesus, always Jesus.

Each night, in my imagination, I stroll a bit farther inside and smile a bit wider as I fall back to sleep. Perhaps some night I'll walk so far inside that Jesus will ask me if I'd rather stay.

Heaven? No, not far away at all and neither are the friends who once lived here upon Earth. But am I feeling rushed to walk those golden streets for real? No, I'm more in agreement with the Apostle Paul on this one--


" ...  but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith ..."   --- Philippians 1:24, 25


Obviously God has more for me to do or else I'd be there now. And Heaven help me if I'm only all, "Come quickly Lord Jesus!" and care nothing about those folks He's asked me to love and to earnestly invite there. 

After all, Jesus never meant any of us to live only unto ourselves, but rather, to live as He did while He walked amongst us---

---and as He still does within our hearts.






“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
― Erma Bombeck



"We overcome evil with good. When evil is increasing, so should our good!"



******








On Saturday we watched the new film Belfast (via HBO Max which we get free thanks to a work friend of Tom's). Great movie! Just small bits of language and violence, but mostly, bittersweet and sentimental.

Another new movie that surprised us (no 'woke nonsense' that we could recall) was Secret Headquarters. Fun and lively and I don't recall any language. I can't remember where we found this, but I think we watched it, free.


******

And seriously, how incredible the way people of long ago are now brought back to life for us to behold. For example, check out what I mean here.


Oh, and this Kindle book is free today, 8/22, at Amazon. (It's still free now, 8/25.)



******





And in honor of Autumn which I'm greatly anticipating this year--



If you're hurting because a loved one is in Heaven, I suggest learning more about the incredibleness of Heaven from those who've visited. So many books out there! So many personal testimonies. So much encouragement, enough to make us anticipatory (dare I say jealous?) rather than grief-filled.



*******


Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be. *** "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

4 comments:

Pam said...

I'm glad you found Esther Ruth. It would have been wonderful had you been able to catch up with her sooner, but I have no doubt that the day will come when the two of you will be able to visit and laugh together again.

Betsy said...

I am also glad that you found Esther Ruth. I'm sorry you didn't find her before, but imagine her joy in finding herself in Heaven. I cannot wait to go back to my true home. Yes, I have a job to do while I'm here. But, I'm ready anytime to go home.
Thank you for the movie and book suggestions. I truly appreciate them.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Sandi said...

You'll meet again one day.

Saija said...

i would have loved Esther ... and you for sure would have been best friends for life - so many similar interests ... but now she will be in the welcoming party in heaven ... when you arrive ... so many dear ones have gone on before ...

blessings on you & Tom ...