Friday, March 11, 2022

When You're Surprised You're No Longer Superman


"And if you faithfully obey the voice of the 
Lord your God, being careful to do all his commandments that I command you ... the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth. And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you obey the voice of the Lord your God. Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the field."   --- from Deuteronomy 28


******


Uh-oh. A move to Rapid City SD is looking iffy.

You know how, in your 60's, Life can remind you that--even with Grace-- you're no longer the leaper of tall buildings you once were? And the not-so-healthy stuff you sowed earlier you're now reaping from later? 

Yeah, well, it's been like that.

But truly, it's ok. Well, er, after some afternoons of acceptance and reminding myself of pretty much everything I've ever written in this blog.

Three weeks ago a Plan B began forming when I spied this local place online:






I 'ran' downstairs and told Tom, "An attached garage! No laundry in a deep, dark basement! Pantry cabinets and real closets! Less than 1,000 square feet! A small lawn with a large concrete patio and no trees dropping hundreds of twigs for me to pick up! And it's cheap!"

Talk about being dizzy with dreams. Pioneer Girl Debra could become, instead, Leisure Lady. Wow.

How quickly our focus shifted. Hey, we still love New York, well, except for the politics, but we do believe an upcoming outpouring of the Holy Spirit can change even those. (Right? Right?)  シ And the snow? It's greatly lessened this past decade and an attached garage, oh my, would be safer for Tom and reduce my shoveling.

Anyway, relax. We didn't rush out and see the place. (I would show you indoor photos, but it's just 2004 vanilla.) Right now we're simply hearing the same ol' thing from God: "Declutter. This is your huge downsizing season of Life, like cleaning up after the party."

At least Grace is here and has us currently excited about living at Hobbit Cottage with much less stuff to scrub and dust(what a new, novel concept!).  ツ

Simply put, God used that mobile home to show us we have options, encouraging ones, and what matters is that we desire His plan over ours. And if we move where and when He says? We'll be happy. Content. At peace.

As long as God moves in with us, it will still be a wonderful life, no matter when--or where.




Oh! And for the record, Tom and I lived in mobile homes in CA and NV so we know about space rent fees. And it was weird; in both cases we sold each home without even having them listed for sale. Space rent isn't that high here and we must have an attached garage (most assisted living places here don't have those), so if a mobile home is the route we need to take, we'll take it.


For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."   --- Jeremiah 29:11


“Dependence on the Lord is wisdom and self-reliance is foolishness. But dependence on the Lord does not mean laziness, it means prayerful action and patient perseverance...”
― Katie Kiesler, Because I Love You


Only because of Grace could I enjoy letting go of stuff as much as I enjoyed buying it!



******





For fans of Mary Jane Butters, you may also like Girl In The Woods. (Their love of the outdoors is similar.) This video, especially, felt peaceful and cozy and oh! Her collie. Gorgeous. And how she prays before meals and she and her husband stay in separate cabins--unique!


And wow. If you love whimsical tiny houses, here's one for you. And that bathroom floor, especially with the light shining upon it? Beautiful (and never before seen).







The older one becomes, the more patient she must be with herself. 

And remember! God wants to give us fresh adventures with each of our new decades.



******


Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be.

 *** 

 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

8 comments:

Betsy said...

Well, selfishly I'm disappointed that the move to Rapid City probably won't happen, because I was hoping to visit you there. It's close! But...especially after our move last year across the country, I know why you don't want to attempt it. It was HARD. If we hadn't had family here to help, I don't think we would have made it. And we were separated for months which definitely wasn't fun.
Decluttering is a brilliant idea. I had done a lot of that but I'm surprise at how much we still have.
Take care my friend. The Lord will lead you where He wants you to be.
Blessings and love,
Betsy

Diana said...

I'm a minimalist, so I've neve had a lot of stuff ... just basics for everyday life, and the few things from the kids and grandkids on the shelves in my not-china hutch, and a few items that were my parents'. Very minimal. We have minimalmfurniture, too. I've never had to downsize because we've always lived in small places (our current apartment is barely 700 square feet, but it's handicap accessible and I rented it on purpose to accommodate Jerry... which helps me,too). I'm sad you might not be closer for visits, but you have to go where God points. Keeping you guys in prayers for the right decisions! Blessings!

Debra said...

Aw, thank-you, Betsy! Well, there's still a chance we'll move to SD, so there's that. Their governor is such an inspiration, such a kindred spirit, and is a major reason we'd like to move there. She and Gov. Desantis have been like a breath of fresh air these past two wild years. And I know what you mean about having stuff--oh my! :)

Diana--well, we're very different in that area, my friend. :) I'm a decorator at heart and have absolutely loved collecting decor for our homes. And books! Books are a major love and I have hundreds because local libraries decades ago phased-out the kinds of books I read. Attending estate sales and walking through old homes has been such a delight for Tom and me and one of the very few hobbies we can do together, plus it's given me many needed stories for this blog, so well.... this is why we've collected much stuff and enjoyed it! But now this is simply a different season for us--and we're enjoying this one as well.

Thanks for commenting, Ladies! Blessings, Debra

Pam said...

Debra, I sure do understand. I agree with Betsy, moving is HARD, but it's also an exciting adventure when God moves us. I remember how the Lord led us in going through every room of our former home. We'd sort, fill the car and drive it to the donation center. I wish I would have kept track of the loads, but it was a lot. Now that we're all settled in our little retirement home, I don't miss a single thing we gave away, but more valuable has been the chance to walk with the Lord and see Him open and close doors. Debra, I am so excited for you and Tom. You are in my prayers. God is at work!!

Todd said...

nice adding you so i can see more im new to Blogger

Debra said...

Pam--that's a great idea to go room by room! And yes, it does help to keep track of how much you let go of, in fact, I'll be posting about that soon (thanks for the reminder). I'm glad you're enjoying your new home and I'm sure it looks so sweet with only your best-loved items!

Todd--welcome to Blogland! It's been a great place for me these past 17 years. Enjoy!

Thanks so much to you both! Blessings, Debra

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

We traveled for 6 years fulltime looking for the best place for us to live and settled in South Dakota about an hour south of Rapid City. You would love it out here, a lot of good like-minded folk!

Debra said...

Jim/Barb--I appreciated your comment so much and even mentioned it to Tom. We're so happy you're enjoying the Rapid City area. Maybe we'll come across you both someday and share good stories! Thanks for commenting, Debra