Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Where She Got Rid of 520 Things--Or--The Year of Letting Go


"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life." ---Matthew 19:29


******

Well, I did it. 

Spent a year, 52 weeks, getting rid of 10 things weekly. Five hundred twenty+ items flung away to the wind! Or, er, to the Salvation Army bin down the street or the trash can outside my back door.

Though I should clarify: when those annoying covid-19 lockdowns hit, I had 9 weeks left to go. And I stopped flinging. But when the whole world goes crazy you're allowed to put some things on hold if it aids your sanity.

You are. Just ask Grace. 

Those first covid months? Intense! Seems always I sat here listening to pundits then repeating their warnings. None of it tired me either because it felt Grace-led and she provides all strength needed. Also, the pundits (and teachers) spoke truth and truth sets us free. And freedom? Not burdensome if not mishandled.

Oh, and I majorly restocked my food prepper shelves. Got up often at 2 a.m. to scribble shopping lists and make online food orders. 

Go following Grace and you can do anything God asks of you, even during dark, silent mornings while alone. Even with joy.

But late August it all began to wane. The intensity lessened, shifted, and it felt like Grace said, "This phase is completed. Let's move on." And that's when I returned to (and finished) the discard 10 things weekly project.

My aim? To enjoy every single task, to dread or resent nothing. Weekly I anticipated filling a bag of cast-offs and I even tacked on another 6 months when I felt Grace say, "Honey, it's time to stop avoiding the basement and garage."

Oh, how much we accumulate and not just within our hands, either! 

This year also, at Grace's nudging, I gave up HGTV. Already I'd avoided episodes with gay couples (you know how God feels when people try to improve upon His creation of marriage, right?). 

But then when House Hunters threw in a 'throuple', well, that was the end. No more. I voiced my thoughts, then walked away after 9 years of consistent viewing.

This was huge for me. Only a handful of things in Life do I love more than houses and decorating and I imagined an HGTV boycott to feel like deprivation, but it didn't. I've not missed it.

What else did I fling away this year?

True-crime shows.
A couple friends.
Daily online peeks at local real estate.
Netflix. (I told Netflix their Cuties film was the last straw and shame on them!)


But here's something I know to be true: 

When God asks you to release something and you do? You feel Grace standing beside you more closely than you ever did before. And nothing you give away compares to that.





******




Remember the old Monkees tv series? Did you know all episodes are available to watch on Youtube?

And yes, this show was very silly, but sometimes in a world-gone-serious, that just might be what we need for balance.


Speaking of the Monkees, I really enjoyed Jovaughn's reaction to I'm A Believer.


******

Prepper Hint:




Oh! And my sister asked if I could post a general prepper list so I referred her back to ones I listed in December of 2015. Hopefully most of the links still work--the list covers nearly everything to help prepare you for anything (scroll down).


******



"He leads me beside the still waters... He restores my soul."   ... from Psalm 23





"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

3 comments:

Betsy said...

You drug me into the abyss this morning Debra! I went to the Monkees reaction video and then I got sucked into the hole of Home Free reaction videos and others. Now, almost an hour later I'm still sitting here! Seriously, thank you for the distraction and reminding me of them. It's always fun to see people react to singers and groups we've always known.
I hope you have a geat Wednesday my friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Pam said...

Hats off to you, Debra, for lessening your load by 520 items!! That is quite an accomplishment. I especially appreciate your aim "to enjoy every single task, to dread or resent nothing." I'm still thinking about how much life would change if I could fully embrace that.

Gosh, I loved watching The Monkees. Brings back wonderful memories. Thanks for giving us so many great links!

Kendall said...

Thankfully I don't even know what a throuple is. I can guess but don't want to... ... But yes, is is something how fast we went from couples having to sleep in separate beds on tv to now. :( I haven't been able to cruise here for a while so I will now read down some and catch so I am up to date. Oh how I am wanting to read them too !

When we think of our home as a refuge we sure know the full value of that now. This 'short' illness has lasted way too long already. Now thy are saying we will be masked till way into 2012. !! I wish our families were all together on one big piece of land. But till then we will keep our little forts closed to the world and enjoy life with God and what family we have close. We are blessed to be in such good company. Thank you for coming into my fort and keeping me company. I have already told you many times you are a blessing to many...and I still fully believe that. Now on to read those posts !! Sarah