Thursday, April 02, 2020

Just Tryin' To Help (But You Might Get Mad)



"They are not put to shame in evil times; in the days of famine they have abundance... the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things  ... Psalm 37:19, John 14:26



******


Warning: This post will irritate some of you. Read at your own risk.


Yesterday I gave our neighbor some extra food, hand sanitizer and 20-30 face masks. She knows where to take them. I do not.

These items were on our shelves. For months. 

Six years ago I became a prepper, (never a hoarder), over months, years, buying stuff a little at a time and as finances allowed. Rotated it by date (or tried). In my shopping, never snatched from anyone what they needed.

Preppers plan ahead, then thrive in hard times. It's kinda like this:




                   (Thanks, Dolores, for sharing this at Facebook.)


Over years, the Holy Spirit kept hinting that someday all my new prepping skills would pay off big time. 

He was right. He always is.

And personally? I'm determined not to visit a single supermarket during these wild corona virus days. Not one. I refuse to needlessly subject myself to creepy virus germs, empty shelves and frayed tempers.

Long ago I learned to shop for groceries online, fresh ones also, and have them delivered to my home. 

Basically I check these places, in this order:

Aldi (You don't have one? Check your area for stores which offer Instacart.)
Walmart
Target
Amazon


I noticed this week that when we have a 2 months' supply of everything, I feel most comfortable.

Yet lately as I try to keep that supply? Buy cat food or 3 cans of diced tomatoes, etc.? The words 'Out Of Stock' or 'in-store purchase only' bombard my eyes at my Go To places. Or the prices shot up. Or delivery will require 2+ weeks now, not 2 days. And I confess--sometimes I've muttered, "You people who laughed at us preppers! You who did not prepare ahead! You make me tired."

And you remind me of this---


"For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept. But at midnight there was a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ But the wise answered, saying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’ And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut."   ... From Matthew 25



Ok. Calm down. 

Today's lesson? You've got a second chance. You're most likely at home and have some extra time to learn prepping skills. Some you'll be able to implement today, others, well, you'll have to wait on. Yet at least you can take notes now. Make lists.

But what I feel the Holy Spirit is saying to me this time? Since our Country has been shut down once, that'll make it all the easier to do it again.

Take it or leave it, it's up to you. Always it is, for Prince I'llSaveTheDay stopped making house calls eons ago.









"And let them gather all the food of these good years that are coming and store up grain under the authority of Pharaoh for food in the cities, and let them keep it. That food shall be a reserve for the land against the seven years of famine that are to occur in the land of Egypt, so that the land may not perish through the famine.”   ... From Genesis 41



"The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty."    ... Proverbs 21:5






******



Go here for an easy crock pot meals video. Her many cheap meal videos are wonderful.


There are also lots of cooking from your pantry articles and videos out there from frugal folks as well.



*******





Here's an article on gardening as therapy. Hooray! It's that time of year again. 




For fun, Tom and I opened this last week. Had been in our basement for years. The chocolate pudding was awesome!  ツ







Oh, and plug in 'prepper', 'prepping' etc., into my search box for my older posts on prepping. If you wish.  (This one has a ton of helpful links, although I can't guarantee each link still works.)

****






"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

4 comments:

Betsy said...

Make me mad? Nope. No way. I agree completely. I have done the same for years. I think it was part of being raised by parents who came through the Great Depression. You ALWAYS had at least a little put back. When I did my Walmart pick up order earlier in the week it was mainly to figure out how it all worked. I replaced a few things we had used and bought some junk food. Yep. Comfort food at its best. Chips and dip and poptarts!
I have flour, sugar and canned goods stored. I have never understood people who buy exacty what they need for the week. And in February there was a thing on u-tube where people were cleaning out their pantries of EVERYTHING. It was a challenge to not buy anything in February and strip their pantries bare! The entire time I was watching the situation unfold overseas and saying to the computer, "Uh no. No, No, No. This is NOT the time to be doing that." I even wrote to a couple of them that I had corresponded with previously to try to warn them. They all said versions of, "It won't come here." or "It's just in Asia." Then in March, guess who was videoing themselves at the grocery store panicking because the shelves were empty? They were angry because they had empty shelves at home and at the store! I tried so hard to not say I told you so. And I didn't, but did I think it? Yep. I did.
We have been given brains to use. I have been sharing my stock with neighbors who don't have enough. Thankfully the stores are starting to get restocked again, (except still no TP.)
Thanks for the post Debra. I hope your family is doing well.
Blessings,
Betsy

Debra said...

Betsy---------Oooooooo pop tarts! My oh my do those ever sound terrific. :) And yes, comfort food during these times is, well, vital. I so believe that.
But oh my goodness--those youtube folks! Wow. What a lesson, right? I'm thinking they'll never ever ever do such a silly thing again. What a test, though, and I totally get how you felt and I'm glad you sent a warning. It's a whole different feeling after we sent a warning than when we ignored sending one, right? That was a huge lesson for me years ago in a totally different situation, but I never forgot the sick feeling I got when I said nothing after the Holy Spirit said to speak loudly. Anyway, thanks so much, as always, Betsy! Blessings, Debra

Pam said...

Nope, I'm not mad either, because I'm a believer in prepping. Debra, thank you so much for donating your masks. The need is unbelievable. My daughter is a nurse in a clinic, and they still don't have masks!! She texted me a few minutes ago to tell me that her hubby's aunt is willing to make masks for her but needs elastic. I'm not much of a seamstress, but I do mend and hold onto bits and pieces. I prayed while I was digging through my collection, and thank the Lord, I came up with a bunch of elastic. Sometimes you need to hold onto things, even though you don't have a purpose for them YET! I have a feeling that prepping will become much more common in the days ahead. Sending hugs!!

Debra said...

I'm so happy you found the elastic, Pam! Have you been making masks this week? And yes, I truly hope more folks will learn how to be wise preppers. I truly believe this won't be the last time these skills will be needed. Thanks as always for commenting! Blessings, Debra