Thursday, December 13, 2018

Adventure: Don't Live Life Without It.



"Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ."   ... 1 Peter  1:13

******


For eons I'd not listened to Susan Boyle's, Wild Horses, so I zipped over to Youtube, the music began and suddenly! Oh, I sat at the Hoosier cabinet in the autumn-gold dining room at our farm.





Music. Crazy how it yanks you places you can't return to any other way, right?

The lamp atop the Hoosier, the large three windows and outside, the orchard, barn and concrete patio where I ironed (sometimes) with vintage music wafting through trees surrounding the meadow.

Funny, last night all I remembered were remarkable, perfect times of those farm years, but oh Honey, if ever Charles Dickens' line--

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ..."

--- fit any situation, it was custom-made for Tom's and my farm years.

Er hem.

But what an adventure, those 3 years and 3 months! A huge piece of me would feel like a dark cave had we not crawled through that tiny Time Window and chosen the farm chapter. 

If we'd procrastinated, though? Oh my, we'd have missed out, big-time. Still gone to Heaven (of course!), but having never, first, opened this present God picked for us. 

Yet that Wild Horses experience reminded me that, uh-oh, lately inside this tiny suburban house I'm forgetting to factor-in adventure, to stay aware and keep myself from sliding into ruts--- 

"Ugh. Another meal to cook."
"Sigh. Another load of clothes to wash."
"Groan. Just another wild Christmas month to survive."
"Ack. Just another day with people-can't-get-along headlines."


But hey, awake, oh sleeper! 

May I, instead, welcome challenges, those (often annoying) times which shake us awake--and dare us to learn, help, grow-up, stand and fight good fights of faith.

Challenges--or better--adventures which keep us leaning against God's shoulder, asking questions--


"How do I fix the broken things?"
"Who most needs my encouragement?"
"You'll help me with this mouth of mine, right?"
"Where should I go today?"
"What's the wisest way to conquer these tough tasks?"
"How should I pray during these troublesome days?"


May I always view normal Life through the lens of adventure. 

And may it keep me awake, excited, creative during these turbulent days, not just closing my eyes, wishing all the unpleasantness away.

No. But rather, doing today what--later in Heaven--will bring me smiles because I accepted simple-obedience adventures from a very non-boring, makes-things-new, adventurous God.









******






"Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming."   ... Matthew 24:42


"Instead of trying to make your life perfect, give yourself the freedom to make it an adventure, and go ever upward." 

-----Drew Houston


"I'm still a kid inside, and adventure is adventure wherever you find it." 

-----Jim Dale



                  (The farm garden. Now that was a fun adventure!)


A spirit of adventure can keep us from feeling drudgery, hopelessness and dread.


******


Oh! For my fellow love-to-decorate friends--- a local town had their yearly Home Tour day and wow, look at this photo which they used to advertise it:





I'm thinking that's downright cozy, inspiring and gorgeous.


******



And for my adventurous crafter friends? Here's something to make you smile--








******

When my days have turned boring, I blame only myself. Why? Because only I (with God) can make them more adventurous.


******

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always find it amazing where music takes me. An oldie on the radio can take me back to my preteen years. And believe me, that’s a long time ago!
I have been spending lots and lots of time at home alone for the past few months. If you’ve read my blog, you know of the health issues I’ve been facing. So I spend my time reading, crafting and watching YouTube videos. And of course praying. Praying takes up a lot of my day. I admit to being one of the people who buries my head in the sand regarding the news of the day. I have enough to deal with on my own right now. Yes, I do pray about it and then I try to put it out of my mind, because I’m a worrier. And I would go crazy with worry if I dwelled on it and watched the news every day. You have some wise words here today my friend.
And I especially like that last photo. My children knew growing up not to use my fabric scissors for paper!
Blessings always, Betsy

Terra said...

What a lovely song, I am glad you shared the link. Her voice, the images of wild horses and the lyrics combine for a beautiful song. I can relate to your farm life, my husband and I and our sons lived on an apple orchard for 4 wonderful, idyllic in some ways, difficult financially, years. Some of the widows in my church formed a new group, about 10 of us, called Widow Friends, so that is a little adventure in new supportive friendships we are having.

Pam said...

This morning after I read this post,things started to take off. I received a phone call from a cousin who really needed encouragement. She's in her sixties, and has recently lost both parents and her husband. Her children and grandchildren are busy with their own lives, and she's trying to figure out what God wants her to do. I was able to share many of your points with her, Deb, and the timing was perfect. When we hung up, she was optimistic and determined to ask God to lead her into adventures that he has planned for her at this stage of her life. Thanks for the inspiration, Debra!!

Anonymous said...

When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a
comment is added I get several emails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
Thanks a lot!