Tuesday, June 19, 2018

What's Going On Up There?


"Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly."   ... Proverbs 14:29


******


I forgot to tell you something. 

Always, I carry a small tablet and pen inside my book bag when I walk to the coffee shop (as I did this morning). I read a vintage book and, after the coffee kicks in, take the tablet and write my To Do List.

And there, with music softly playing, even 'vacuum upstairs and down' and 'clean bathroom sink' sound like pleasant, cool things to do while calmly gazing out the early-1900's display window.

Yeah, coffee can do that for you, I agree. 😊

But within a calm, unpressured atmosphere, boy, do I think clearly, almost like in my 20's. (Hey, I said almost.). When I keep my mind's atmosphere peaceful, God helps this aging-pretty-darn-fast lady remember what she should do--and what she can release. 

On my Short Road To 60 (as I'm calling it)? I'm considering how to finish my journey on Earth, well. To not be shell-shocked upon my arrival in Heaven by the peaceful, rejoicing, grateful atmosphere, but rather, to taste of it beforehand. Yes, even here, on this crazy, what-are-we-picketing-today? planet.

Seriously.

And you know? That's why I won't be participating in the increasing discontented, seething anger out there. Go watering anger seeds and wow, do they grow fast and ugly (headline news, anyone?).

And yikes! Looks like low-key fretting (moping, grieving, worrying, stewing) grows, also ... into evil(!) --


"Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil."   ... Psalm 37:8


So today I'm reminding myself to fret not. Keep your mind calm, Debra. Celebratory, even. Grateful for a good God who, in the calm, can guide our decisions--and our future--even in an economy folks say will go bad soon. In peace, may we remember God has a good plan for His kids who fret not, but hold Him heart-close.

And keep Him there, no matter what; our link, our preview of a glorious, awaiting Heaven.







"Restlessness and impatience change nothing except our peace and joy. Peace does not dwell in outward things, but in the heart prepared to wait trustfully and quietly on Him who has all things safely in His hands."   ... Elizabeth Elliot



Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.
    Author: Helen Keller





(We'll constantly think this way in Heaven--why not start early, like, right now?)



******


Around my house ...




At the base of our stairs, a favorite corner. And more of my books, mostly ones I'm currently reading.




My kitchen during its sunniest part of the day. At 4 o'clock I often sit on the couch and appreciate what I see here though, yes, sometimes I do still wish for white cabinets, I confess. Deal with it. heh.






                          A peek of late-morning sunlight. Love it.


******






Anyone else enjoying the latest season of Bear Grylls' Running Wild? This show makes Tom and white-knuckle nervous, but we still super enjoy it. On NBC.


******


I'm so grateful I can anticipate good days because I serve a good God. I need not keep looking backward to find His goodness there, rather, it's here, now, for He is here in this place called Now.






******

4 comments:

Betsy said...

Amen and amen! The world does seem to becoming a rather dark and bitter place doesn’t it? My dear brother-in-law Mike lost his battle with cancer during the night last night. I must admit, I’m a bit envious that he is walking the Streets of Gold right now with no more worries of this earthly place. May God bless you each and every day.
Betsy

Pam said...

Betsy, I'm sorry for your family's loss, but happy for heaven's gain.

Debra, I like the way you think. I'm limiting my access to headline news, and diving into caring for our home and garden. Granted, I work a bit more slowly than I once did, I still get things done (with lots of breaks inbetween chores). Taking care of our home brings much pleasure and satisfaction. BTW I love that pic of your home---so inviting! AND I've never had white cabinets, but if there's a different home in our future, I'm sure hoping for a white kitchen.

Debi @ Tuesdays Child said...

Betsy ... I too am so sorry for your family's loss.

Debra ... THIS post is a keeper too! I don't know if I've shared this with you [think I did at one time] but over the years, I've saved a lot of the emails with your blog post in and I'm still saving them. I can't save the full article because I have to click on the link to read more but I still save them to go back and re-read. There is always a lesson that I "need"!

Debra said...

Oh Betsy! I'm so sorry to hear about your brother in law. Please know I'm praying for you and your family at this difficult time. (I totally get what you mean about envying him, though! Won't Heaven be awesome?) Again, thinking of you... <3

Pam--I could have written your comment! More than ever I enjoy caring for our home and for the things God's given me to do. That verse about minding our own business is a big help these days to keep me on track--and happy in obeying God's customized tasks.

Debi--thanks so much for your encouragement! My number one desire here is to always post timely words which help others. Thanks for letting me know these words minister to you.

Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra