Saturday, March 03, 2018

The X-Files Made Me Do It :)


"To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams."   ... 1 Samuel 15:22

******


Eegads. What a wild latest episode of The X-Files Tom and I watched last night! Of course, that show always sends messages, yet this was a vivid one, namely: beware how plugged-in you are. Someday all those devices and app's of convenience just may terrorize you.

The scary part? Scully and Mulder's devices weren't even sci-fi, but real. Oh-hum typical in most cases, and oh, what a cold, automated world they displayed on screen (the stark, peopleless sushi restaurant was ultra creepy).

I mean, Scully carried her phone everywhere, paid for dining services with that phone, used a no-driver Uber-type service, owned a home security system tied into her lights, fireplace, etc.. She had a roam-around-vacuum, a reminder system for upcoming events and drone-delivered packages. She probably wore a Fitbit watch, also.  😳 (Yep, she did. I watched again and Scully mentioned it near the end.)

Well, both Mulder and Scully end up frightened and running because of their devices. And oh, of course, we in the audience saw the over-the-top-ness. We're no fools.

And yet. It's the underlying message which shook me, that actually--get this--made me, afterward, go to Goodreads and delete my I-spent-hours-on-this account.

Why? Because maybe I don't, after all, want strangers and friends (no offense) knowing which books I'm currently reading at my dining room table. Or which ones gather dust on our little Hobbit Cottage shelves or which books I've read during my 58 years. 

Maybe I don't want this 2018 public world to know everything I do-- and on which day and time I'm doing it. 

Maybe I want to keep some thoughts and privacy for myself rather than feeling so, well, watched.

All of us online have lost oodles of privacy--you realize that, right? (Think again if you believe otherwise.) And yet, why should I voluntarily give away what I don't need to?

Anyway. 

All this reminded me of how Tom and Naomi went online in 1998, but ol' Debra fought it until 2000. That's when I felt God asking, "Can you use the Internet to encourage people if that's what I'm asking of you?"

Hmmm. What a novel God idea. So I gave-in so I could help others. First I used email, then oh! Blogging found me in 2004--and changed my Life's course. And although not quite one smooth, happy joyride, still, I've found my niche and one of my strongest callings, if you will.

And yes, within this blog, I do share a ton of personal information with you and I've lost the luxury of complete privacy. 

Yet it's because of obedience to God that I willingly share (and feel protected) so you'll be encouraged in areas where I've been helped. I tell you about books, movies, articles, scripture, quotes, tv series which bring light to me in this dark world, reminding us that not everything meaningful in this World has departed forever.

There is still goodness, kindness, light and laughter Today because God's still here. He's aiming to keep His promise that He'll never leave us--and may we never stop searching to know Him better. And then share what we've learned--

--even if it means sacrificing certain parts which, without God involved, we'd  have kept hidden all for ourselves. Thus, how important it becomes to be God-led rather than dragged around by self. 

And oh, how much more adventurous.









"And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left."   ... Isaiah 30:21


How wonderful/freeing/safe when we can hear from God, from wisdom, when to choose a thing or when to leave it alone.


"You will seek Me and find Me when you seek with all your heart."  ... Jeremiah 29:13




******





Seriously, I highly recommend this episode of The X-Files (titled Rm9sbG93ZXJz) if you've felt any conviction lately to back away from at least some technology.

This'll do it for ya.  😁  (God can use anything, anyone, to teach us. Always remember Balaam's donkey.)

You can find it at the link, above, or at Hulu or your On Demand function of your cable provider or --


******





Tom and I will travel back in Time this weekend(!) We'll be watching the film, Dawson City: Frozen Time. Can't wait.

Read about it here where you'll also find a trailer you can watch. Looks fascinating.


******

Uh-oh, Folks! If I disappear for awhile, please don't panic.

Here's my explanation via my post at Facebook this morning (3/4) --


Yikes! Since last night my computer has given me messages rather like this: "Hey you. I'm a senior citizen laptop and I may be dying soon. Just thought you'd like to know. Sincerely, Laptop Louie."

So if you don't see me here or at my blog for awhile, please don't worry. Eventually I'll return. I'll still have email access on the iPad Naomi gave me so you can email me anytime. Perhaps I'll have her load FB, my blog, etc. there also while we figure out where to go next, again, in case aging ol' Louie does bite the dust.  Thanks!


******


3 comments:

Betsy said...

Oh my yes! Sharing online has made it ever easier to lose any semblance of privacy. I’m going to try to find that episode. I appreciate all f your thoughts today. It’s a scary world we live in.
Blessings,
Betsy

Pam said...

I've always been a little hesitant to share too much online. Just last night, my son said that he's considering "unplugging" because he's afraid of potential corruption. Guess we need to proceed with caution.

Debi @ Tuesdays Child said...

I sure hope Louie makes it awhile longer for ya! I'm so happy that though you fought it for awhile, that you did finally get online - you shine your light on here and yes, you DO make a difference! : )

(Hugs)

Debi