Monday, February 05, 2018

Well, There's One Huge Burden Gone



So remember when, in John 21, the disciple Peter acted all jealous (again) of John? Jesus simply, but firmly, told him--


 "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me."



Wow. Now there's a verse that can make me feel like I've lost ten pounds of burdens.

How?

Well, if a friend uses language at Facebook which I never, ever would? Immediately I 'hear', "What is that to you? You just follow me. You be careful not to use curse words. You pray for her."

Or if I feel ignored, left far behind by an old friend, it's, "What is that to you? You just follow me and take proper care of your current friends who still like you."

If people don't answer my emails or comment after my blog or Facebook posts? "You just follow me--and how many emails/comments have you made lately, hmm? You reap what you sow, you know."

If a friend complains a lot? "You just follow me and seek my help in stopping your own complaining. And pray for you both."

(This is an endless list and only a simple blog post. You get the idea, right?)

Oh, how the lessons keep coming:

I can't change other people, but I can pray for them and allow God the years working with them that He's worked within me.

Certainly I can let God change (and humble) me which is a forever task, indeed.

And I can trust God to heal any hurts along the way, especially as He teaches me to love Him most so that any slights and offences from others appear so microscopic in comparison to His great compassion.

So there you go. Don't you feel ten pounds lighter already?





******


And yes, sometimes we're called to confront others, but it must always be at God's loving insistence, rather than our own, "Well-listen-here-buddy-I've-just-about-had-it-ness of it all.  😏


Keep your eyes on God because he is the one who can give you the change that you need." --- Julian Andrew


"Love hardly even notices when others do it wrong."  --- From 1 Corinthians 13.



******








Oh, color me so happy with Ebates!

Instead of sending me my 'big fat check' again this quarter (two of which are still sticking to our refrigerator because we almost never get to the bank)--they gave me an option for an instant online gift card whereupon I chose Walmart where I bought $43 worth of free groceries--hooray!

See? Many good things do still happen these modern days of ours.


******






******








7 comments:

rebecca said...

E-Bates sounds intriguing! I haven't a clue.
And yes, I feel 10 pounds light after "chewing" on that passage and your challenging application. What a great way to begin the week.

Terra said...

Yes, I do feel lighter. Prayer definitely changes us, even when outward circumstance seems the same.

Betsy said...

Wise words my dear friend. I’ve been trying to put similar attitudes into practice but admittedly, it’s easier to say than to actually do. I am trying though. I’ve always wanted to learn more about Ebates but really don’t know how they work. That would be a nice way to spend the money though... free groceries. I just went to the grocery store this morning. $89! Yikes! It seems like such a waste of money to me. I’ll have to do it all again next week.
Blessings,
Betsy

A Joyful Chaos said...

That's excellent advice, and yes I do feel lighter just by reading it. Now to go put it to use. :)

Blessings~

Pam said...

Isn't it crazy how we can be skipping through life with everything coming up roses, then all of a sudden, somebody rocks our boat. I'm always amazed (and ashamed) at how quickly I can fall into nasty mode in an attempt to defend Self. Instead, I need to remember the verse, "What is that to you? You just follow me." How good it is to remain in the shadow of our Savior.

Elizabeth said...

Yes, I do feel lighter after reading your wonderful post ! Thank you, I needed it !

Debra said...

Thanks so much for your comments, Everyone! I so appreciate your letting me know this post was an encouragement to you. In my next post I wrote a bit of an explanation regarding Ebates for you who expressed an interest. It's really a wonderful way to earn a little extra money, imo, much, much better than those goofy online surveys I used to do. Oh my. :)

Thanks again, All! Blessings, Debra