Saturday, December 09, 2017

Yikes! When Debra Got Convicted In A Comment Box.


"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."   ... Colossians 4:6


******

Last week while reading a Yahoo article regarding President Trump's declaration that we recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capitol, I became miffed that, in the midst of such a historic time, the writer concentrated on the President's vocal delivery of the speech, hinting at possible health/sanity problems.

Then I read the comments (big mistake), felt horribly annoyed that people could be so mean to those with whom they disagree--and said so.

Uh-oh. One person then replied I had no room to talk because, months ago (when you click on a person's name, all their previous comments pop up) I'd said, "Snowflakes! Snowflakes are falling everywhere."

Now at first I thought, "Good grief. There's a huge difference between that and the cruel, mocking, degrading statements people are making this morning."

But then, clicking on my name, I read the ten comments I'd written over the years while feeling that, hey, I deserve to let off a bit of political steam somewhere-- and uh-oh. Five of my responses, though super-tame by comparison, still sounded sarcastic and snarky. Oh, bad, bad tone.

Wow. I even thought, "Who was that woman?" Because, really? She's not me now. Now Debra wouldn't make those same comments. 

So I repented to God, first, then deleted any comment which even hinted at not caring that people were hurting over things not currently hurting me. 

And oh, it was Conviction City around here. What I want now--more than to let off steam--is to be part of the solution, not the problem. 

Tons of folks are shooting-off harsh words, hitting, harming others. Yet only a fraction seek to be led by compassion and speak the truth in love as Jesus would.

Which means more than just 'toning down' my comments, believing they're ok with God because, hey! They're not even in the same time zone as mean. Nope, that's too much like this --


"Comparing themselves amongst themselves, they are not wise."  ... 2 Corinthians 10:12 


Oh, some of my readers may think, "But it's not fair to hold back what we really feel!" Yet, actually? It's not about holding in what we feel, rather, it's more about letting go of what doesn't please God. Of giving Him more room within us so He can, through us, love and understand others better. 

It's about growing, changing and dying to the sarcasm and snarkiness temptations.

After all --


"It's no longer I who live, but Christ who lives within me."    ... Galations 2:20


Yes, even in a 2017 world where opinions fly as freely as birds, everywhere.







"For by your words you will be justified and by your words you'll be condemned."   ... Matthew 12:37


******







******

And on a rather similar note, here's a quote from Cheryl Strayed, which she made here, shortly after the release of Gilmore Girls--A Year In the Life :





 “This is such a beautiful, painful part of life,” she said. “Sometimes it takes even more strength to remember the love and the kindness and the generosity that we’ve received from people than it is to remember how they hurt us, or how they didn’t live up to our hopes and expectations. To admit to their gentleness or their beauty is more painful, I think. It’s not about fighting, it’s about accepting. It’s about saying, ‘Okay, I can see the whole you and I’m not going to fight you anymore. I’m going to accept you.’”


******



6 comments:

Deborah Raney said...

I so admire you for deleting those comments that you decided in retrospect weren't helpful. Along with you, this is my prayer every morning, "Lord, today, help me to be part of the solution, not part of the problem." Sometimes being part of the solution simply means keeping my mouth shut (even if what I'd like to say is true and right, but might be hurtful or offensive to others.) Sometimes being part of the solution means getting out of my comfort zone and being kind or helpful to someone who, well, doesn't really deserve it in my not-so-humble opinion, but thank God His blessings don't depend on what we deserve. Wishing you and Tom a very merry Christmas, and thank you for adding light and reason to all the voices vying for attention.

rebecca said...

I'm still holding on to the belief "that "there is a time for everything". KNOWING the right time, following the Holy Spirit's direction, finding the proper balance between being bold and courageous and kind and compassionate...AGH!

Sometimes silence IS golden. On the other hand, we are to make the most of every opportunity because the days are evil....

(Just thinking out loud on keyboard here.)

Terra said...

We are living and learning. Sometimes, online and in person, less is more. Smile, we do love you.

Betsy said...

What Rebecca said. We are called to stand for truth and righteousness, but in a way that glorifies God, not ourselves.
Blessings,
Betsy

Vee said...

It’s your blog. We are also called to be salt and light. When I was blogging, I would have deleted comments like hers, not my own. There is a time for pushing back. Now feel free to delete this comment since it is not in tune with the theme of your post. 😏

Debi @ Tuesdays Child said...

Debra, I really needed to hear this today - sometimes I have a really hard time in trying to keep my mouth shut when in my head, I "know" I should but the problem is, I don't always listen to myself. Thank you for this sharing this, it was much needed. (Hugs)