Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Dauncey, Anyone?


"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."   ... 1 Corinthians 10:31


******


Remember when Lucy Ricardo, before discovering she's pregnant, tells Ethel she's been feeling 'dauncey', her grandmother's word 'for when you're not really sick, but just feel lousy'?

Well, this summer ol' Debra felt dauncey, herself. Muddy-headed and bleh. Yes, because of the humidity, but also (I knew) because I'd veered from eating according to this book--






Ages ago Naomi shared Eat Right For Your Blood Type with Tom and me, and well, that book confirmed the months of online research I'd done to discover why, at 40, I felt 90, instead(!) 

And boom. Instantly I felt better when I ate the foods my blood type (O, if you're curious) thrives on and avoided the ones which send me spiraling. For me that book was--and still is--a present from God.

In Eat Right, foods are divided into these categories for each blood type:


Highly Beneficial
Neutral
Avoid

Do I obey the recommendations 100%? Ha, not even. But I do try going heavy on the Highly Beneficial and Neutral lists and super-light on the Avoid one.

And really, whenever I return to eating this way, my head can feel the sun rising--





--and my energy returning like a lost old friend.

Oh, and last week I ordered the Type O Cookbook. I tend to dig myself into an old rut when I eat this way, so I need new recipe ideas.

Every few years I mention this book to you, so there you go. It's like a book of hidden health secrets and common sense.

This is kind-of a diet, kind-of not. Mostly, it's about changing the types of fruits, vegetables, breads, meats and juices you buy because (according to Eat Right) even certain super-healthy foods might not be healthy for you.

I've found that to be oh so true. And thank-goodness I know the difference.










******


Read comments about this book here.

I've linked to the first edition at abebooks since 1.) it's cheaper there and 2.) It's the issue Tom and I own.

There are updated editions available here and at abebooks as well.

******







Need a more spiritual pick-me-up today? Go here. I'm so enjoying Shauna Niequist's book, Bread and Wine and I was blessed to see her On Demand on Oprah's Super Soul Sunday program. 

What an awesome interview.  Wow.

Seriously. I hope you can check it out for yourself, especially if you've lately felt convicted to slow down.


******

3 comments:

Betsy said...

I've heard of that book before but have never read it. I'm really glad you've found something that works well for you. Maybe I'll have to try to find a copy at the library.
Blessings,
Betsy

Dewena said...

I just put Bread & Wine in my basket on Amazon and will order it.

And, I used to follow the Blood Type diet! And felt wonderful on it. My mother and sisters followed it too. But that was ages ago and I'd forgotten about it, thank you so much for writing about it here. I think I'm an O too, my husband an A, but need to be sure about all that.

I had a dauncy day yesterday and I know I'm not pregnant!

I love your previous post too, remember feeling exactly the same way. I wondered why didn't Christian women write a beautiful magazine, and eventually someone did. I don't remember its name and it was a little skimpy on content but still the only one out there. I lost track of it after a while, don't know if it's still being published. Maybe blogs have taken its place?

R's Rue said...

Have a great day.