Monday, January 23, 2017

Well, My Saturday Was Different


"But you, Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high."   ... Psalm 3:3


******

My winter Saturday afternoon? I brought my wicker chair down from the front porch onto our sidewalk where sunshine splashed upon it. Then, before I sat down to read, I searched our yard in our remarkable 60 degrees for fallen branches which I tossed away.

Then, picking up my copy of Blandings' Way (the sequel to the movie I'd recently re-watched for the 15th time), I alternately read, lifted my face to the sun and thanked God with all my heart for His goodness toward me.

What a rare gift on a Buffalo January day! When I later stepped back into the kitchen I told Tom, "That warm, sunny hour outside certainly did this body some good."

But of course, meanwhile in Washington D.C. (and elsewhere), women screamed and ranted and said they marched and spoke for all women.

Well Honey, no thank-you! 

You were not marching nor speaking for me, nor representing my personal spirit. Heaven forbid! I choose, instead, to speak for myself and allow God to defend me when the need arises. (No one tops Him at that. No one.)

So there you go.








"From the Lord comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people."   ... Psalm 3:8


******






Speaking of Blandings' Way, here's something I shared with Tom from it. He said he'll have to try this. heh.  


(Mrs. Blandings was dropping off her husband at the train station so he could ride to work.)  ---


"The heavy mountain locomotive rushed in, dragging with it five noisome cars and an intolerable breeze of newspaper scraps, dead leaves and stinging dust.

"G'bye," Mr. Blandings shouted. He kissed his wife's cheek and could not hear some injunction she was shouting at him.

"I'll try to," he bellowed. Years of marriage had revealed this as a response that rarely went wrong."



Ha! Don't you love that? (This isn't the best book I've ever read--and there's occasional 'language'-- but there are some delightful passages.)




******





Back in 2004 I watched the second Growing Pains reunion movie and, instantly, regretted not video-taping it. The first reunion movie had disappointed me, but not this one! 

I recall thinking, "Man. This is the kind of tv movie which never gets put on DVD. If I see it again, it'll be a miracle." Sometimes I tried to believe I'd re-watch this movie someday. It was hard, though.

Well, 13 years later (13 years!) the miracle happened. 

I bought the recently-made DVD of Return of the Seavers and Tom and I watched it over the weekend. Oh, how sweet was the viewing.

It's good for us to wait for things. To not always receive them instantly, learning, instead, to wait really well, patiently and full of hope.


Never, ever give-up! (Well, unless God tells you,"Move on, already! I'm finished with that area and you should be, too.")   :)







******




2 comments:

Betsy said...

How, my friend, do I find myself agreeing with you on so many things? I had told my husband the same thing on Saturday. The women marching did not represent me or any of my values. God IS the ultimate protector. I'm so happy you had some nice weather to enjoy Saturday. We had more freezing rain! I am very ready for this winter to end.
Blessings, Betsy

Pam said...

We had a heavenly Saturday at our house, too. Hubby and I took two walks as our temperature warmed to 65 degrees (it was a record breaker according to the local weather station). Days like that make winter bearable. The picture of that adorable little girl on the horse, plus Psalm 91:2, just warmed my heart. Lord, could you please send her, the horse and I wonder if her pale pink boots come in size 9...