Thursday, October 06, 2016

When God Says Keep a Stiff Upper Lip



******

Man. Sometimes it's hard to be a good sport.

Tom bought a new car, deciding to finance it rather than wait for funds due him October 26th. Our financial adviser (with whom I often disagree) said Tom would be crazy to do it any other way.

Well. When Tom drove to our bank for a cashier's check, he discovered we have less money than we thought. At home, I went over the checkbook, found a couple of my mistakes, but still am unconvinced that the bank hasn't made their share.

So basically, we are back to living like much of our country--paycheck to paycheck. Back to where we lived for decades. #@$!#$ It positively rattled me to put some of our emergency fund into our checking account. But at least we do have savings this time.

Tom promises he'll sell some of his musical stuff and at year's end, there'll be an extra check from his job.

Oh, it's hard not to fume. And I confess, I've done some major fuming (no 'A' for me on this test), not to mention a little crying when I, this dark morning, whispered good-bye to our car which served us faithfully 14 years and could've gone another 200,000 miles (according to certain sources).

Believe it or not, I had to remind (and convince) myself that our car won't feel hurt, abandoned, when Tom trades it in today. (Too many Disney cartoons?)

So no more redecorating purchases for awhile. No more books from online. No more thoughts of buying another house. Although... there's this one (in a good neighborhood) which is such a low price, that we'd have leftover money to both repair the house and our bank account--




But Tom insists it has no curb appeal. (I'd like to know what you think. Well, truthfully, if you agree with me that it's fine and just needs a little love. heh.) 

All I know is most rooms need only cosmetic attention, like this dining room whose large window looks out to the backyard:



Love that! And can't you just imagine that room after I'd get a hold of it, perhaps making it a bit like this?--





Okay. Enough whining.

There are people starving out there and at war or facing hurricanes and our country's a divided mess and my problems are ridiculously small in comparison. I know, I know.

But I just thought I'd share what's going on 'round here in case you are experiencing something similar.

I get it.
I understand.
I am empathizing with you.

And I'm so incredibly thankful that God gets it, understands and empathizes with each of us. 

May we all allow Him to keep us hopeful, cheerful, contented and imaginative-with-what-we-already-have in the tighten-our-belts days ahead.

He's so great at that, actually. But only if we've learned how to receive the comfort we seek, rather than race around chasing it over in Futility Land.






"For He knows how weak we are; he remembers we are only dust."   ... Psalm 103:14


******


"Be strong and courageous. ... Do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”   Joshua 1:9

"Don’t let a bad break cause you to settle where you are. Move forward and God will pay you back. Move forward and you’ll come into a new beginning. Nothing that has happened to you is a surprise to God."   ...  Joel Osteen


******

Oh, and for my friends who enjoy those odd, quirky documentaries on Netflix (you know who you are), here's another one:

The 100 Years Show

It's relatively short and quite interesting. Lots of awesome photos of her as a young woman, also. Oh, and I prefer her more complicated art pieces over the simpler ones. But then, what do I really know about 'modern art'?


******

Free Kindle Books:


Anne of Green Gables: The Complete Collection

Tom Sawyer:  The Complete Collection

Still Kicking

5 comments:

Susan Humeston said...

I so understand your frustration and possible hurt. The Lord is faithful and knows what is happening - as you know - and will walk with you through all the aggravation. Maybe once your husband is ready to retire he will want to move first......

Pam said...

Debra, it sounds like you've had a rough week. I understand not wanting to give up an old, faithful car. We've had several that felt like members of the family. Then to have a bank snafu, also, is disheartening. Your faith is deep, and God has a plan.

As for the house, I have no doubt that you could make nearly any house into an adorable home. Nice dining room--I like the windows. I can't figure out what's on the floor--some sort of inlay? Would you have a bedroom and bath on the main floor? That's something hub and I have decided we have to have for the future.

Betsy said...

I'm sorry you've had a rough week. My Hubby also would like to get a new car and I want to keep mine. So far so good here and I surely understand your hurt. Forgiveness is a wonderful thing. :-)
That is a cute little house. You know I would love a smaller one than we have now. I haven'5 posted for awhile because for some reason blogger keeps deleting my posts as I type them. I have no idea why. I'll keep commenting on yours as long as it lets me though.
Blessings,
Betsy

Summer said...

Sorry about your week... Hugs♥

Debra said...

Thanks so much, Everyone! Here it is days later and I'm feeling much more cheerful, got my sense of humor back, and am making new plans regarding redecorating parts of my home and then preparing for a move next year.

So we shall see what we shall see! :)

Thanks again to each of you who took the time to let me know you care. Seriously, you are appreciated more than you know! Blessings, Debra