Thursday, June 23, 2016

Like A Birthday in June


So if you who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!   ... Matthew 7:11


******


Owning only around 100 vintage Scholastic books, I felt I needed more (More. Must. Have. More.) so I went to Ebay where these tempted me like crazy:



Just a $4 opening bid and not one was a duplicate of what I've already stuffed upon my shelves. Rare, that.

But I wanted to be sensible, spend less with my credit card this month, so I thought, "I'll just bid the $4. That's it. If someone else bids higher, they can take them."

Time passed (as it will), I forgot what I'd done (as I do), and when I received a You-Won! email, I thought, "Huh? What did I win?" Then I opened it. And remembered.

Hooray!

Don't you love it when that happens? Already out upon our summery front porch I've read Irma's Big Lie, High Country Adventure and Jenny, Sam and the Invisible Hildegarde and well, they were awesome. How soothing, peaceful, to read retro kids' novels while a hectic, confused world swirls around me.

Now, don't laugh but it's felt like a birthday and Christmas and as though God smiled while He nudged me over to Ebay that day.   

Yes, He knows me that well and I matter to Him that much. And so do you.










******


“...You say to God, “I have never seen you provide for me.” 
God says to you, “You have never trusted Me.” 
― Corallie Buchanan



 “Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” 
― Corrie ten Boom

“God loves you so much that he is willing to hold something from you for the perfect time!” 
― Rachel Hamilton




******






Okay, only some of you will enjoy this, so for you, here you go:


List of People Who Disappeared Mysteriously


Last week I must have been in just the right mood, for I found it fascinating reading.


******


Here's a beautiful song by Lenny LeBlanc that some of you will love.



"When you have history with God, remembering what He’s done, you don’t get discouraged by every difficulty. You know God brought you through in the past, and He’ll bring you through in the future."  ... Joel Osteen


******

4 comments:

Connie said...

Oh, your post brought back memories of reading the Trixie Belden books as a young girl. I loved those stories. If I ever saw them again, I would buy them in a minute. That is (like you) if they fit my budget :) Have you read them? I like the quote about having a history with the Lord. The longer you know Him and love Him, the more you realize how much He loved you . . . we do not have to walk through this life along.

Betsy said...

I'm so glad you found the book and won them too! Isn't it fun when things work out like that? I've never bid on eBay and wouldn't have a clue what to do.
Thank you for your encouraging words today. I believe that God is there, just waiting for us to ask Him to lead us and comfort us. I'm so glad I know Him and don't know how people can go through life without His love and grace.
Blessings,
Betsy

Robin in New Jersey said...

Congratulations on the excellent buy! I love the Corrie Ten Boom quote. I have
it written down in my favorite quote book.

Thank you for continuing to be encouraging to those of us who read here.

Debbie V. said...

I love this - the way you bid and won (leaving it up to fate) the books on eBay, the books themselves (yes I loved them too), and the reveling in that world we all knew and loved, even if just for a few hours. I would have been excited as well.
I donated almost all my books to a nearby needy library. Out of hundreds I only have about 20 left and most of those are cookbooks. I don't regret it. I realized that I wasn't going to be reading them again and that someone new will find out how great they are. Another benefit of this choice to donate is that now I feel I am more open to finding and reading books - I think I felt a little guilt in me saying I should reread some of the precious ones I have instead of getting something new. Anyway - now if I decide to do just what you did and order a slew of old children's books or 1960's magazines I could do so with a free conscience. Sounds so crazy when I put that into words - lol.