Thursday, March 03, 2016

Thinking About Acceptance. Again.



Posts like this one have haunted me lately while accepting that I needed extra down time from this annoying bronchitis. Healing time. Wasn't easy, I must add.

From Jan. 3, 2010:


******


So Naomi gave me (among other things) some colloidal silver for Christmas to take for that annoying infected root canal tooth, the one which I can't have pulled till the 15th. And well, guess what? I've felt so much more cheerful since taking that stuff! Wow, pretty good, especially since for most of 2009 my head felt cranky and forgetful, making me concerned about both.

The companion change I've made since Christmas is to remind myself of something I've told you many times, namely, I've been applying more acceptance to my daily life. Officially, I've stopped expecting myself to be as 'sharp' as I was at 37.

Namely, I now accept that I must double-check everything. Double-check that I locked the car doors at night, turned out the lights, turned down the heater, and turned off the stove top, the tv and my alarm clock. And when I forget to do any of these or forget to send back a Netflix movie or pay a bill or take my grocery list? Or when Tom forgets things? I need to forgive myself (and Tom) and not say things like, "Good grief, Debra (or Tom)! What's the matter with you?"

A simple, "Hey, I'm half-a-century old now," or humming the Twilight Zone theme, is kinder. I'm finding that the gentler I am with myself, the less stressful I become and that leads to longer stretches of happiness. And a better-working memory, even.

My favorite teacher says, "People who can't accept things, often go insane." I had to meditate over that awhile before I understood, but then I thought of people who can't accept that they've lost a loved one--and how that can lead to a lifestyle of paralyzing grief or even pretending that the loved one is still here. Or those who fail to accept the end of a relationship and the way that can lead to not seeking new relationships (debilitating loneliness resulting) or even to stalking ex.'s. And others who refuse to accept their present age can lead to imagining one is younger, wearing clothes meant for younger folks and acting in an affected manner--and driving everyone away.

Acceptance is vital. Respecting the seasons in my life--and how those seasons are always changing--is vital for good mental health. Ignoring or fighting or running from those seasons will take me to dark places.

And may I never become so forgetful that I forget that.








*****


"My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth."  ... Psalm 121:2


Some things just are what they are.   ... copied


*****

The photo at the top is me at age 37, you know, back when I was sharp. :)


*****

From today, March 3rd:

I (finally) began feeling more like my ol' real self yesterday. As though the clouds are lifting. Thanks so much for your prayers!

Oh, and this morning I watched the most fascinating documentary at Netflix. It's called Finding Vivian Maier. Wow. What an incredible photographer.

Check out some of her gorgeous work here.


******

3 comments:

Terra said...

I am happy to hear the clouds are lifting for you. I have reached that age of double checking things too.

Rita said...

So glad to know the foggy brain is leaving you. So frustrating when that happens. I double ck things but have all my life. Blaming it on OCD. I have been the only one in family to accept responsibility so I thought that was the problem. Not aging. Lol

Debra said...

Terra--thanks so much! It feels good to feel good again. :) I think double-checking is part of wisdom, actually. Well, just so it doesn't turn into quadruple (or more) checking. heh.

Rita--Thank-you! Thanks for making me smile with your comment--I totally know what you mean about being 'the only one to accept responsibility'! :)

Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra