Tuesday, November 24, 2015

A Free Tea Kettle and A Book For a Penny (Sorta)


“Gather up the leftover fragments, that nothing may be lost.”   ... John 6:12


******


So for years, every single morning, I'd heat water in a saucepan for my customized-by-me hot chocolate. 

Now, it's not like we couldn't afford a (more convenient) tea kettle, but I kept forgetting to search for one at yard sales or simply order one online. But living with myself for so long, I've noticed I 'make do' with what I already have. A lot

It's enabled me the extra pennies to faithfully feed my book addiction. Er hem.

Anyway, finally I own a tea kettle--and I got it free. In fact, I even made money purchasing it.

What? I simply ordered cat food for Sammy through Target online (rather than WalMart as has become my habit) and they sent me two $5 gift cards. I then, in my next order, used those cards for the $8.99 tea kettle. Plus, just 'buying' that kettle and more cat food netted me two more gift cards(!)

Technically, I earned $2.90 just by purchasing the tea kettle. ***

What's sad? People whine about Today's high prices, but perhaps they're actually moaning over their lack of imagination or not having a happy spirit of believing, trusting and seeking until they find.








******


But of course, using what one already has is marvelous, also. In fact, whole decades ago I discovered this book on a dusty library shelf in California:





Oh! As a young bride, I came away from Re-Uses feeling rich because I had spare tuna and soup cans. Cereal boxes, an old garden hose, milk jugs and newspaper. I took notes and felt clever while using Carolyn Jabs' money-saving ideas for many years. 

You can read some of her creative ideas here (be sure to check out page two), but the book has a couple thousand more.

Don't ask me why I didn't order Re-Uses (for a penny, not counting shipping) until this morning. Must be a case of 'making do' again, you know, with the notes I took which then became ideas I now just use naturally. 

But I can't wait until Re-Uses arrives and I rediscover all the forgotten turn-nothing-into-something ideas. Actually, it's a perfect prepper book for a possible future day when we'll all really, really need this stuff.

And as you already know, I so plan to be ready for that day.



******







"She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness."


      ...   From Proverbs 31



Successful people are simply those with successful habits.
- Brian Tracy



******


*** I think these specific cat food and tea kettle $5 gift card deals are over. But other similar deals are now valid. Target always has such sales each week.

Oh, and my free tea kettle, alas, has a dribble at the edge of the spout cover. But in this case, I'll not quibble about a dribble.  :) 



*****

5 comments:

mabeane said...

I just order Reuses from Amazon. Thanks for the tip. My daughter-in-law wlll probably like it as well. Too bad about the Target deal. We don't have Target near-by and online ordering would be nice.

Terra said...

You made me smile with your "don't quibble about a dribble". The Reuses book sounds very practical and what a good deal on your tea kettle.

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

I ordered the book. I'm always looking for more ideas on how to stretch our income. Thanks for the recommendation! I chuckled at your quibble/dribble! :-)

terricheney said...

My take away from this is that I can order pet food from Target online and get the gift card deals. Who knew? I loathe driving 60 miles round trip to go pick up a single item but this gives me a fresh incentive to make use of the online shopping thing (which I do like).

Debra said...

Jan--let me know what you think of Re-Uses, ok? I can hardly wait till my copy arrives! I'm sure I've forgotten so many of the ideas from so long ago. :)

Terra-- isn't it a great feeling when we get a good deal on something? ...smile... It inspires me to keep looking for the next super deal. :)

Living on Less--oh! I'd love to hear what you think of Re-Uses, also. I recall many of the ideas being so simple and then asking myself, "Why didn't I think of that?" In fact, after getting into creating things with trash, it becomes a habit, I recall finding myself pausing in front of trash cans asking myself, "*Should* I throw this away after all? What else could I make from this?" :)

Terri--oh dear! I'm afraid that gift card reward for the cat food is over. At least, it seems like the last time I ordered it no gift cards were offered to me. If I ever run across that deal again there at Target I'll run here to my blog and let you all know. I promise. :) I've been ordering cat food online from WalMart (and occasionally Target) for over a year and I can't even begin to express how much easier it makes my life! We have a Target just down the street (and WalMart, also) but online shopping has been, for me, a dream come true. :)

Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra